sweet gum tree is dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamela

Reaction score
We always thought our tree had a section that wasn't as green as the rest. Someone said it was Chlorosis. We have a limestone rock patio next to it... pH being affected?? Also someone said we had borers because of the lines of holes in the bark. I thought they were from birds. I've seen many yellow belly sap suckers on it. The tree was here when we moved here.... almost 24 years. We lifted the limestone patio that was close to it and added a deck, which you can only partially see in these photos. We do not want to lose this tree :-( It has provided so much shade on our deck and many memories for all our family. What is causing the tree to lose ground here? And is there anything we can do to save it.
I've included two photos: one of the leaves and other of the trunk.
0qaAqDNKs43eOX-S7OYQ89QQPaJxn_R42NpRfzTE34E=w286-h162-p-no

GdfEL3wBNzxOsnHgXUlLR7AJXUSAvsWyMQunGHCFLaQ=w286-h162-p-no

I know... many people hate these trees... but not me! :-D

By Pamela from DeKalb, IL

The tree was here when we moved here.... almost 24 years. We lifted the limestone patio that was close to it and added a deck,
I've included two photos: one of the leaves and other of the trunk.
0qaAqDNKs43eOX-S7OYQ89QQPaJxn_R42NpRfzTE34E=w286-h162-p-no

GdfEL3wBNzxOsnHgXUlLR7AJXUSAvsWyMQunGHCFLaQ=w286-h162-p-no

I know... many people hate these trees... but not me! :-D

Did you have any roots removed for the deck?
Jeff

By Pamela from DeKalb, IL

No, no roots were removed. Several footings were placed in the ground. 2' (?). deep . There were quite a few.

Looks like chlorosis due to a mineral deficiency, high PH will cause iron & manganese to be tied up. Get a soil analysis done & make the appropriate adjustments.

You're right about the birds. Soil pH is easy to check yourself too. Root damage from footings are another factor. Let us know what the pH is, and if there's room to get at the soil to amend it ok?

Back