sweetgum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjwagner24

Reaction score
I have five mature sweet gum trees lining my driveway.
I love the shade, but detest the spiked gumballs that require constant gathering.

Having spoken my disdain so often to so many, a story filtered back to me of a solution. If I were to spike a ring of galvanized nails about the tree trunk every eight inches, the tree would become sterile and produce the dreaded fruit no more.

Realizing that I live in a world fraught with misinformation, old-wife’s-tales and out-right hoax's, I have set myself on this quest.

Will the galvanized nails have the desired affect? If so, what are the consequences?

One consequence that comes to mind is the numerous squirrels that rely on this food source and the pleasure I receive watching them.

While I may detest the gathering chore, it has set my mind to invent better tools for performing the tasks.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Jay first of all you need a certified pesticide applicator license to apply Floral for these sweet gums. Some certified arborists arent certified pesticide apps. And also search the National Arborist Associations website for companies in your area for treating these sweetgums and sometimes certified arborists are just base entry level arboriculture as well.

Your absolutely right. I should say a full service tree care company that has certified arborists.

Latest posts

Back