Swept chimney today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found a little more soot than normal during semi-annual cleaning. Likely because it hasn't been very cold and the stove has spent a lot of time choked way down. This is from an insert with a triple-wall 20' pipe burning mostly white oak so far this season.

creosote.jpg

I'd guess there's about 3 quarts of creosote in this 2-gallon bucket. Is this still within what might be considered a safe accumulation or should I consider increasing frequency.

My two cents?

You may want to clean out more often just to be on the safe side. My roof pitch is 4/12, easy to walk on and I clean out every 3-4 weeks.

I probably get a little more than that when I clean mine 2 times a season. But my chimney is about 38 foot masonary in the center of the house.
For my house chimney I would consider it ok but for the stainless steel double wall in the garage that would be a lot. It only creates about an inch or so in a 5 quart plastic bucket, and I probably burn just as much wood in it as I do in the house... gary

Thanks for the comparisons. I think I will step it up to about every 6 weeks. Only takes maybe an hour so its probably time well spent.

Yea it never hurts anything to keep it fairly clean.. I've been burning about 25 years and never had any problems, but don't want any either.. gary

Back