Swinging an axe, left or right handed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread cracks me up.

Today I actually switched sides to see what it felt like. I'm going to try and become and ambichopper.

I'm left handed - left hand is nearer the cutting head.

One thing that bugs me about so many hand splitters - they have the chopping block that is SO DARN TALL. All my chopping blocks are no more than a foot high. You get more power/speed with the extra swinging distance, don't have to lift rounds so high.

I have two blocks, one locust, one a knoty chunk of willow, both are 8". Just right to split 16" rounds on.

I'm right handed. Left hand at the end, right hand by the head, ax over right shoulder, slide hands together to build ax speed. Just like baseball, it's all in the wrist, ax speed and bat speed. No chopping block. Do have to touch up the edge on my ax, gets lots of chips, Joe.

Like Joe , I'm right handed and split on the ground and do file out the bigger dings .
I have no problem with left or right hand position , both work for me .

I also have a cousin , she swings both ways ,,,, but that's a different topic lol

Back