switch .325 saw to 3/8 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonka

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking at a saw that comes with .325 chain; would like to run 3/8 on it. What are the pros and cons of switching? Would 3/8 require more power to run than .325?

I just switched my 36 from .325 to 3/8. I did go from a 16" bar to a 14" bar to use it as a limbing saw. I cant realy say if its cuts faster since Im spinning 2" less chain, but it has no problem going through 10" to 12" log.

Depends on what size saw & what kind of wood you're cutting. I've been running .325 on my 088 & 357xp lately. IMHO .325 on hard woods & 3/8 on softwoods, opposite for 3/8 LP. - Eric

I cut primarily softwoods, and run 3/8ths chain on everything. No problems here with any of my saws. the 028 and 032 have 20" bars on them. The 041 has a 24" bar, and the 610 has a 16" bar. I run full skip on the Stihls, but will switch to full comp on the 028 once in a while. The 610 has full comp.

Gary

tonka said:
Looking at a saw that comes with .325 chain; would like to run 3/8 on it. What are the pros and cons of switching? Would 3/8 require more power to run than .325?
I have to admit that I am a bit confused regarding this subject.

The .325 chain has more cutters in a given length than the .3/8 has, which means that provided the cutters are equally large, it should tax the saw more, but cut faster, until chip clearence become a problem, and/or the type and size of the wood pulls it out of the power band.
What confuses the picture and makes it really hard to say which requires the most power, is that the cutters usually are smaller on the .325 chain, and it may also be lighter. :confused: :dizzy:

Last edited:
If it comes with a .325 chain, it comes with a .325 sprocket and most likely, bar. Replacing chain, bar and sprocket is not the cheapest thing. I would run the .325 regardless, wear the chain, bar and sprocket out, and I would know by then if I wanted to try .375. At least you get the use out of the original equipment. I run both chains, and prefer the .375 for most applications. If you cut much wood, it won't take too long to wear out the original equipment. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back