Switching from straight to ofset gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djb6582

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve been climbing for about three yrs. now; the guy who taught me has been in the business over thirty years and is a creature of habit, still using triple strand rope in a DRT natural crotch with a Blake’s hitch, the only hardware he uses is a snap instead tying a Bolin. I’ve recently been experimenting with ascending and other technics (I have a strong rope background in rescue). Recently I bought a set of Aluminum Clime Right spikes. Up to this point I was using a pair of Kline with straight Gaffs. Needless to say the step is totally different and I keep spiking out. I’ve only been up in them about 5-6 times but it still feels uneasy to me. Can any one explain the way I need to be stepping with offset?
Thanks

I did the opposite, I started on the climb rights and something about the fat gaff and the underside isn't flat so trying to touch em up with a file was odd but I never felt like I could get a good purchase in them. I came across a set of kleins for cheap and I prefer them now. If you don't like the long offset gaff try the short pole gaffs on the kleins. Otherwise just put more time in on them. I haven't read about anyone not liking them but I haven't read about too many people having them either.

Klein gaffs are offset not the climb rights, unless you are referring to the angle of the upper pads maybe?

Latest posts

Back