sycamore removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
Treemachine-I have two steelcores, I am always attached, just not tied in too.
I have no beef with you. I'm glad to know that you're using two wirecores. You use those 18-footers and I'm sure you maximize their utility. I'll bet you've used those fliplines in ways I've never even imagined.

Wanna REALLY help the client in the cleanup? Park a dumpster under the trees and drop all the material in there from up in the tree. Limbs first, then bomb monster chunks to compress the limbage.

I never, ever leave the cleanup to the client. I had a couple early instances where they got into it, and then called me to come back and clean it up. Ugh. I discourage them now.

I'm curious...

If the trampoline could be slid away, why would you not just drop / fell those trees toward where the image was taken from ?

Is there something that does not meet the eye like the lid of a septic tank?

Do you get ice damage out there?

Many trees in the background look broken or topped.

syc

davidsinatree sycamore is hard wood thin barked make sure yer gaffs r sharp

drop

M.D. Vaden said:
I'm curious...

If the trampoline could be slid away, why would you not just drop / fell those trees toward where the image was taken from ?

Is there something that does not meet the eye like the lid of a septic tank?

Do you get ice damage out there?

Many trees in the background look broken or topped.
hey md, anyway reread the machines post about neat and controlled .... one who has the ability to climb will climb. when a ball dreams it dreams of being a disc .. follow me? besides its not a professional its grandma with saw and grandpa with a chain and the old john deere with a spot on kansas funniest videos

Last edited:
time

treeseer said:
NIce straight logs. Is the woo duseful for something? If so you may be able to get free hauling.
dave dont waste time and energy thinking about or trying to arrange this and dont give a low number in hopes that somone will take/ use/ burn/ split/ carve a bong out of it etc etc. price it do it move on

whoa

clearance said:
I windfirm (cut of some branches, top so they don't get blown down) old growth, I climb over 100' on most all and often over 150'. Just not practical to be tied in and using a lanyard on the way up, after I top it I rappel and sometimes have to cut branches that have hangers. Then I use my steelcore and am tied in. Sometimes I use my split tail to go around if the tree is too fat for my little steelcore. My big steelcore is 18', it barely makes it around the big spruces at the butt. When I used to work utility it was comfortable to be tied in and use my steelcore when I was in one spot for a while, like using a polepruner to bust up overhang.
guy are you in our industry?

No jmack-I paint houses...what the **** kind of industry do you think I am in? yo

house painter

clearance said:
No jmack-I paint houses...what the **** kind of industry do you think I am in? yo
a house painter would say that it is more conveinent to climb without being tied in

fern feeler

clearance said:
besides i thought maybe you were a cone collector or sumthing where you didnt have to tie in because you were climbing trees for fun

jmack said:
a house painter would say that it is more conveinent to climb without being tied in
Mack, this is really not called for. Clearance never said anything to this effect, and pointed out his method of always being tied in. I don't know where you're going with your 'suggestions', but please, put a clamp on it.

And thank you for pointing out 'neat and controlled'. That's where I'm going with it. That, and providing the highest level of customer service so their cleanup is straigh-t forward and doesn't require a saw. Neat, controlled, swift and professional. Enjoyable. Heck, I wouldn't miss that climb even if the thing could be dropped.

The tree is very straight-forward, with the added bonus of having to cross over from one top to the other. That's good stuff.

Just from what I see, a crane truck is not possible (please correct me if I'm wrong). Your clients (I assume) want their part to be as easy as possible. The worst thing that could be done for them is drop entire limbs in a tangled array, and then bomb varying lengths of loggage on top of it. That may be the 'fastest' for you, but is truly about doing a dice n' fly, or about doing it in excellence so you look like a pro, get referred on to other people and NOT get called back to pull them out of a cleanup nightmare? If you do all your cutting aerially, when you get to the ground, you are done. This is what a climber does. We live for it.

If you can drop it from the ground, I say do it. Cut it up once it hits the ground. If you feel like you need to put on some sort of show for the customer in order to look like a professional (which you are), then set a pull line with the Big Shot, set up a come a long to pull it, and use the "stick trick" to judge where the tips will land. Hell, do a tapered hinge and then explain what it does to the home owner. That ought to be plenty dazzling.

If you really need the practice (and who doesn't, in truth) then climb it.

Clearance, I didn't know you painted houses too.:dizzy:

clearance said:
In regards to steelcores-I appreciate what a big saw can do to one, great. Most of the time however, you will be climbing with an 020 (or equiv) this is when you are most likely to knick your lanyard, it is not that easy to cut through a steelcore with an 020, you notice the cutting is funny right away, I know, I cut right through a steelcore but I was tied in above.

This is a funny post.
"It's not that easy to do, but I've done it. "
And that's my point, a steel core is not a replacement for a second tie in. It can be easily cut.

Way to go with that large saw in the tree. I know it is tough.

Question: From your first photo it seems that you could move the tramp. and fell a majority of the tree towards the camera man's perspective. At least 50' or 60' of tree to fall?

Just curious. I like to avoid bringing big saws in the tree if I can and that would be the solution there.

Now the job is on hold untill cusomer gets income tax money. I thought he was ready to get it done right away....wanted to do it today.
Also he has changed his mind about wanting both trees removed. He now only wants one removed...( I think thats a good choice to save one of the trees )the smaller on in front will be removed.. You canot tell from the angle I took the picture from but there is about 30 feet of seperration between the two trees.

Thinking a steel core will give you protection from cutting ourself outta a tree is false security.

If you climb on a split tail system you can use the line as a second lanyard and easily pass crotches as you ascend.

and personally I wouldnt ever condone dropping your rope to the ground so it wont get tangled in branches even with 2 lanyards. If you are working aloft, you should ALWAYS have enough rope with you to get down to the ground, even when working a spar. Id like to see you descend in a hurry with 2 lanyards and no rope.

TreeJunkie said:

I agree. This topic went way out into left field. David asked how he should approach these removals. Steel cores never cae up in his question. I just hope he got something out of his derailed thread.

Tree Machine said:
OK, then. I stand corrected.

Also, you're not fulla crap. I'm sorry I said that. I love you, Mang.

In the interest of accuracy... Mike IS full of barnyard effluvia....but he is also correct about this and many other topics.:D

Redbull said:
I agree. This topic went way out into left field. David asked how he should approach these removals. Steel cores never cae up in his question. I just hope he got something out of his derailed thread.
First off, when has it ever been a problem for thread at AS to go off topic?
Next, is the issue of misinformation, it's wrong to let obviously wrong information, like flip lines being cut-proof, go unchecked. Somebody could get killed!
Finally, the two trees pictured are about as easy a tree removal job as it gets. There was good information given as to what Sycamore trees are like and how to approach this job. Dave should be happy with the responses.
The only real complaint about this thread is it should have been posted in Arborist 101.
And if you guys aren't happy with the direction of a thread, try contributing something of value, that is on topic. Oops, I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind, keep whining like little beotchs.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back