synthetic mulch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
Any one used synthetic mulch, have a HOA wanting to check it out. I no likey, but will look into it. Have already been told that it has issues with mold, anyone have any experience with it?

Ground up tires are pretty available, but they tend to float away in heavy rains. Mixed with adhesives and poured into tree wells on sidewalk trees works great - no nutritional value but air and water can get to the roots, keeps weeds and trash out and you can walk on it. Even did a 30' foot section of sidewalk over some tree roots, has been in nearly 10 years without a problem - its also ADA compliant. Cost was 2X a standard concrete walk, but we saved the tree.

My big problem with the material is how it holds heat, many trees respond poorly to high rootplate temps. If it iss the only thing that they will put down that will keep the mowere and line-trimmer away from the trunk, then I will endorse it. butt it would be my last resort choice.

Latest posts

Back