synthetic oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maxima 927 is a blend of synthetic and castorbean. Ken Dunn recommended it to a bunch of us earlier in the year. It does smell different, but now there have been questions raised about the castorbean oil leaving gunk in the engine. Ken and others are now trying out Maxima K2 which is 100% synthetic and only marginally more expensive than 927.

Let's see, the first post in this thread was at 4AM this morning. That means that we have a discussion on oil (yet again) that has been up here for over 7 hours without a reply from Ben Walker. How is this possible?

K2

Steve here...
I too have been using Maxima K2, per Ken's advice. Works great, leaves internal parts good and wet with oil. I ran a tank of 50:1 Stihl oil through my new 025(last summer) engine is bone dry of oil residue and I have some light scorring on the cylinder
Steve

927 while provideing good scuff ressitance will burn very dirty and can also lead to corrosion. The picture I am attaching shows the deposits that 927 leaves. Notice the amunt of carbon on the pistons dome. These types of deposits can lead to pre ignition.

BW,
I bet all that carbon on the piston crown is from the fuel,not the oil.My Motocrossers piston's dont look that bad after a half of season of riding.I was using only Chevron premium in every thing when we were down south.Up here,Amoco premium is my choice.Also as far as the "gumming up problem",
My power valves stay clean as a whistle in the bikes running a pre-mix of 40-1.
BTW,my wife hates it when I work on my stuff at the table,whats your secret???? :)
Mike.

I have looked localy hear for some time now . No one in my area sells the Maxima 927 or the Maxima k2. Are you guys buying online someplace if so how about sharing the info with me Please.
I have just been running stihl oil 32-1 but would like to try the synthetic. Thanks for any info guys ,Eric

bet all that carbon on the piston crown is from the fuel,not the oil.My Motocrossers piston's dont look that bad after a half of season of riding.I
Mike thtas not been mine and many other expierance with 927. maxima will even tell you its is dirty compared to K2. Today there are many better oils than 927. BTW I doubt it was the fuel as you suggest the deposits on the piston dome are very indicative of castor.

Woods junkie, If you want ot run a very good syn oil that is very available and cheap. Try Mobil MX2T. It is available at Murrays and Auotzone as well as www.avlube.com.

Originally posted by bwalker
BTW I doubt it was the fuel as you suggest the deposits on the piston dome are very indicative of castor.

BW,
The fuel suggestion was just that.The gas that they pawn off on us for a buck and a half a gallon isnt worth a third of that.Most of it is just liquid junk.
Hey Fish,just wondering what discussion group you know of that you dont need your best pair of hip boots at?....... :)
Mike.

The fuel suggestion was just that.The gas that they pawn off on us for a buck and a half a gallon isnt worth a third of that.Most of it is just liquid junk.
You wont get any arguments from me on that point. Gas and diesel sold in Padds 1 and 2 are some of the lowest quality in the world. Its pretty sad when Uganda has better quality gas than the midwest and east coast. BTW Seeing that you from Wisconsin and most likely have RFG in your area I would stick to amoco with mtbe. its far better than any alky fuel. the problem is finding a amoco or bp station that actually sells amoco fuels.

this is always a good thread - mobil mx2t or motul 800, like bwalker said - k2 I dont know about- they used to make a hell of a ski though.:p

Randy J

Yes it has been well covered in a number of past posts. Do a search and you will get a feel about that. Afraid it is a bit like talking about religion. It brings up a lot of emotion. LOL!

Frank

Back