table top slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, and keep in mind that most of this is book knowledge from wanting to start milling in the winter down time, is that if the piece has any full heartwood in it there will be cracking as it dries. Wood shrinks a lot radially no matter how slowly you dry it, and as it does this any full rings have to crack to relieve the pressure.

Believe me, the pictures in my books explain it a lot better than I am here :laugh:

im not sure if this works but

I was told years ago if you soaked the rounds in ethy glycol it would replace the the water that is lost and prevent the round from shrinking.
Rember thats what I was told, never tried it' but it made sence at the time

Anti-checking

I was on military duty down south this winter and came across an older fella that carves very fancy walking sticks as a hobby. He lets the wood that he carves on dry out for at least a year before he starts to saw or whittle on it. His trick is that he has a moist and relatively dark basement (a root cellar of sorts) that he keeps the wood in until it is ready to be carved. All of his sticks down there are still unchecked. I guess the trick is finding the right amount of humidity or the right place to store your wood to allow it to slowly dry.

Back