Taking down limb over a pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice on taking down a limb over a swimming pool. I have have attached some photos to take a look at. The limb I am looking at is the lowest limb coming off the trunk on the first photo. At the trunk the limb is probably around 8 to 10 inches think. Since I dont want to damage the pool liner, here is what i am thinking of doing...let me know if you think it will fly. I am thinking of getting some cinderblocks and placeing them on each side of the pool and running 2" square tubing from side to side... After that, I would put 3/4" plywood on the square tubing to give the limbs a place to fall. Rent a pole saw and take it down a little at a time... Thoughts on this or anything I didnt think about that might present...Other ideas on getting it down.... Thanks :cheers:

Last edited:
The pole saw that pieces that lead out will be too heavy and cumbersome. The debris is bigger than u realize.
Hire a certified arborist. They show up with education, insurance and the equipment needed to perform this safely.
THIS IS AN EASY ONE FOR AN ARBORIST and the cost will be reasonable.
expect to pay around $65 an hour or $520 per day. For this one... maybe 2-3 hours with drive time to site and dump. Price is subjective, but, as a home owner with a valuable target below, I would reconsider doing it myself.

The pole saw that pieces that lead out will be too heavy and cumbersome. The debris is bigger than u realize.
Hire a certified arborist. They show up with education, insurance and the equipment needed to perform this safely.
THIS IS AN EASY ONE FOR AN ARBORIST and the cost will be reasonable.
expect to pay around $65 an hour or $520 per day. For this one... maybe 2-3 hours with drive time to site and dump. Price is subjective, but, as a home owner with a valuable target below, I would reconsider doing it myself.

Thats $65 per man @ jobsite, by the way. And u need 2, since a climb is involved.

Why are you cutting the limb? If it is to avoid leaves in the pool it is a waste of time. If it is to accelerate the decay of the tree by removing a large limb and prepare yourself for the future removal of the tree then use a rope as a lowering device and don't need to drop anything near the pool. Welcome to the site, sorry your first post I had to flame on but my opinion is to ask folks why before telling how.

Why are you cutting the limb? If it is to avoid leaves in the pool it is a waste of time. If it is to accelerate the decay of the tree by removing a large limb and prepare yourself for the future removal of the tree then use a rope as a lowering device and don't need to drop anything near the pool. Welcome to the site, sorry your first post I had to flame on but my opinion is to ask folks why before telling how.

Thanks for the replies, both of you. No, the reason that we'd like the limb to isnt because of the leaves, I realize that is a waste of time. However, the reason probably isnt much better, this limb blocks quite a bit of sunlight to the pool and is completely shaded in the summer until about 3 in the afternoon. As for as the health of the tree...and like me qualify this next statement by saying i am completely unqualified to make this statement....This limb is approx 8" and the tree is about 48"dbh and about 8' up it divides into two sections that are approx 30" so i dont think this will hurt the tree as much as you seem to be implying... alright, now let me have it

Ok so we are trying to get more sun to the pool, that is a legit reason to do some pruning on the tree. Removing the limb you suggest is NOT the way to solve this problem. Removing this limb will most likely start a decay process that eventually will destroy this tree. It is not recomended to remove such a large limb on a mature tree like pictured since the tree cannot seal the wound and the tree will start the decay process and eventually fail. I would recommend trimming the WHOLE tree to allow more light into the pool area. This should be done by someone who is experienced in proper pruning technique. Given the location, and it looks like the tree is actually the neighbors property, I also suggest a licensed and insured arborist to do the work. This is not a 'do it yourself job'. JMHO. :)

The thinning cut you want to make can be performed on this tree. Mr. dad of twins is a preservationist, for sure.
As preservationist we would NEVER removed more than 25% of the foliage surface area at any time. The pruning u desire on your tree would fall below that estimate. Be aware there is the increased probability of pest/pathological instance to enter the large wounding cut. It is, generally, aggreed that tree dressings or paint on the wound is a bad idea.
By the way, make sure the arborist u hire is ISA certified and YES that tree has 2 be climbed to have the limb safely lowered by ANZI standards. or maybe the pics sho up badly on my moniter.

FWIW, one more pic.... Thanks for the reply weasel...Out of curiousity...how would one go about climbing this limb, not that i am having any crazy ideas...never seen a guy climb and was wondering how he would get to the outter smaller braches on this limb...

Last edited:
FWIW, one more pic.... Thanks for the reply weasel...Out of curiousity...how would one go about climbing this limb, not that i am having any crazy ideas...never seen a guy climb and was wondering how he would get to the outter smaller braches on this limb...

I would climb the central lead and transfer onto the limb to be removed. It is very likely I would rope all the wood to the ground to protect the turf. The brush is chipped and the area is raked. Now i also treat wounds this size for instance of borer activity. It is not the best thing for the tree. But for cryin out loud you got a pool with no sun. Thats like puttin hubcaps on a tractor!

I agree about the wound decaying not because of size so much but because of recent root loss--the tree won't have the resources needed to close it well. That said, getting someone out there to thin the tips would be tricky--pole pruner from the ground may be the best way, *for someone who knows how to prune*.

Look to the needs of the whole tree and all your trees before you make a plan. I'm not against doing it yourself, but in this case the disadvantages are too great.

how old is the pool?

what compass direction is the tree to the pool?

what kind of tree is it--elm?

That said, getting someone out there to thin the tips would be tricky--pole pruner from the ground may be the best way, *for someone who knows how to prune*.
what kind of tree is it--elm?

Well thats two to one. These gentlemen suggest a pole pruner can do the job from the ground. I dont see it. At 6 foot for each length of pole, you will need about 5 plus lengths to reach the tips that they want to prune. These things get heavy and unruly when you use 3 lengths and impossible at 5, dont forget you have a pool to try and stay out of.
No sir, pole pruning is kooky. Put a certified climber in the tree to remove this lead. Quick and easy.

Well thats two to one. These gentlemen suggest a pole pruner can do the job from the ground. I dont see it. At 6 foot for each length of pole, you will need about 5 plus lengths to reach the tips that they want to prune. These things get heavy and unruly when you use 3 lengths and impossible at 5, dont forget you have a pool to try and stay out of.
No sir, pole pruning is kooky. Put a certified climber in the tree to remove this lead. Quick and easy.

Using the 8' jameson poles, I use 3 (24') regularly. Using 32' is hard work, but can be done effectively. It does take alot of strength and coordination. I've only seen 2 guys use 40', and both of them were strong like oxen. I think pruning from the ground is possible, but also agree that it would be easier to climb and rig the limb out.

I also agree that a cut that size that low on the trunk will start the decay process in the main stem, and will probably shorten the life span of the tree.

Knowing the species of the tree will help weigh the pros/cons of making such a large cut.

What sort of tree is it?

How long has the pool, turf and paving been there?

In maturity is that tree, juvenile, semi-mature, mature or over mature (old)?

Is the species a good or bad compartmentalizer?

------------------------------------------------------------

Reduction and thinning especially on the pool side of the tree will have smaller cuts which seal over quicker.

You really do need to reduce that limb from going over the pool, and some of the ones above it.

I have a pool myself with a liner and also work around pools frequently. It's safer to do that job with water in the pool ... sure more cleaning but if anything gets dropped it wont do damage.

I cannot see an effective job accomplished with a pole pruner from the ground. For starters, the limb tends to shake as you cut it. Getting the correct angle for the cut is much harder and usually not done right. Pole saws can be used in the tree though, in fact I did just that today doing a fenceline job. so I'd recommend getting a good arborist in, be careful, some of those ISA CA's never climbed a tree.:D

I cannot see an effective job accomplished with a pole pruner from the ground. For starters, the limb tends to shake as you cut it. Getting the correct angle for the cut is much harder and usually not done right. Pole saws can be used in the tree though, in fact I did just that today doing a fenceline job. so I'd recommend getting a good arborist in, be careful, some of those ISA CA's never climbed a tree.:D

I agree that with a pole saw head making good cuts at good angles that high would be impossible, but using the corona pruner head, cuts 1.5" diameter or less can be made effectively.

New poles without much slop in the joints make it easier to control high up, and longer poles so you have less joints from butt to tip helps too.

You're exactly right about the limb shaking/angle of cut problems w/ a long pole saw, so if cuts are needed larger than 1.5", trying to accomplish it from the ground would either be futile or harmful to the tree.

ok, now that the tide has turned: more of you guys agree that a climber can more effectively remove this limb than a groundsman. Lets approach the issue of CODIT for this large wound.
For the homeowner CODIT is 'compartmentalization of decay in trees.'
As preservationists we are concerned about the large cut thats needed to remove this branch. It will be years before it heals over, if ever, and during that time any number of pest/pathological vectors can do their nastiness.

We need to know the species.

Perhaps Mr. Goblin can provide close up pics of the bark, twig and leaf, if expansion has occured.

alright, read through the previous replys and there are a ton of questions there...I will try to remember them all...1st off this is an elm tree. The tree sits on the northeast corner of the pool. This is at my sis and bro in laws house so i dont know exactly when the pool was built but i believe the house was built in the 70's, i assume the pool was put in at that time or shortly thereafter....will reread the thread to see what questions i missed...thanks

Well, that's good news coz then there's no recent root damage or loss and the tree is accustomed to the area it is in ... lawns and all.

It would also be good to get underway before the spring burst of foliage, dont miss the boat, reduction and thinning.

As the tree matures the branches over the pool will get longer so reduce now but retain some foliage and shape.

Frankly, to an arborist, this is a no brainer. Fill the pool. :biggrinbounce2: and lets get cracking.

oh, dont go fertilizing the lawn (and subsequently the tree) with chemical fertilizers try to use natural and make sure the N (nitrogen) component is low. whilst this is based here for me it has some valuable information for you.

http://www.weareallabouttrees.com.au/fertilizing.html

Take the branch off. Back to the collar. Even if it doesn't heal over(compartmentalize) it will still ward off infection. This would be done by climbing the tree, tying in high in a central leader, and lowering the branch with a hinge. Collars. The strongest part of most trees. I think treeseer is sticking to the heart of this forum. Maybe a homeowner will do less damage with a pole pruner.

Back