Taking wood burning to the extreme

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting idea, but I would have one question for the guy if I ever met him. "The car is powered entirely by burning wood off of a woodgas engine. Sipilä says the ‘El Kamina’ can travel 125 miles on 175 pounds of wood."

yeah, thats great. But just how long does it take you to travel that 125 miles?

Top speed

Juha is driving about 10000km per year with it and the top speed is 140km/h ( about 85 miles/h )

Regards
Rasse

I have ben gathering items to make my old army truck run on wood gas. It was very popular during ww2 in Europe.

Nope, didnt notice the link to the video on my phone. If it can actually travel at highway speeds thats pretty impressive.

There are a growing number of guys here building these units and running them on trucks. Some of them play with the fuel injection so it still injects gasoline at greatly reduced rates. For example one guy could cruise down the highway towing a hay trailer, but when he came to a hill he could push a button on the dash and his fuel injection system would add gasoline at 8% of what it would normally inject. This bumped up his power, but still gave very good fuel economy as most of the fuel was still coming from the gasifier. This design made the range on a full tank of gas about 2000 miles. He had to stop and add wood to the gasifier of course.

One place was claiming a ratio of about one pound of wood per mile traveled in a properly set up system. Even at two pounds per mile the fuel cost is significantly less per mile than gasoline, albeit with all the work needed by the gasifier.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back