Tallest tree locations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasperSparthing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Certainly Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia still have a few unexplored old growth trails with Douglas' fir and Sitka spruce largely unmeasured for miles around. What are the chances we have a fir tree that is 350 feet tall and undiscovered in the Pacific Northwest?

I am aware that the Doerner fir in Coos county Oregon is about 340 feet tall--at the lowest end of the trunk-- and has been climbed by different groups in recent years.

Have any ideas?

check out the champion tree forum. theres a sub forum for that area, and theyre might be some good stuff for you there.

The book The Wild Trees by somethings Preston, doesn't give exact locations but gives you an idea of where to start looking.

Check out "Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast" by Robert Van Pelt. It lists the 10 largest specimens of each of the main west coast conifer species. Note I said largest, not tallest.

There is little unexplored land left, but there could well be some firs taller than those known. The tallest redwood was discovered just a couple years ago.

Historically, the Mineral Tree, which fell in two stages-1916 and 1931, was 393 feet tall. There has been no known documented redwood that was that tall..that I've heard of, anyhow.

The book The Wild Trees by somethings Preston, doesn't give exact locations but gives you an idea of where to start looking.

The information in that book leads me to believe that there may be a few very tall or large of several species yet to be found.

There are a few images online, like one of Stratosphere Giant, taken from treetop, showing that it sticks up and above. But from ground level, the tall ones may be hard to measure. But it still seems very probable that a tall Doug fir is out there, because it's base may sit low, with it's top at the same level as shorter ones rooted upslope.

By the way - and I may post this separate too - but I've challenged what Richard Preston wrote in The Wild Trees on page 82 about Michael Taylor discovering Atlas Grove.

I found and photographed markings in the interior of the grove - markings dating back over 5 decades.

Although Taylor or Sillett may have realized additional significance of Atlas Grove trees, some significance has already been recognized by somebody over 50 years ago.

From what I can tell, Preston placed a bit too much drama on the fact that Michael Taylor encountered this grove. (As for a discoverer of individual trees in the grove as pertains to naming single trees - that's different).

Latest posts

Back