Biggest & Tallest Doug fir and Sitka Spruce & redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is at our museum at powerland in brooks or. you can come see it next weekend and see the show.

Oh ok thanks. I have probably seen it then, I've been to the tractor show south of Woodburn probably ten times or more. I was going to go this year but my schedule is filled unfortunately.

10 feet that must have been a mighty tree. not many scale ten feet diameter these days, and was even exceptional in the old days of logging. Most of the tall 300 - 330 foot Doug fir they are finding in Oregon these days are the medium old growth, 200 - 500 year class, and only 4 to 8 feet thick at breast height, probably 90% of the growth is in the first 200-400 yrs of the tree's life.

the biggest tree I've fell is a spruce in Lake Stevens WA (no not in the lake) thiink it was 5' at the stump 175-200' tall, the owners Pa had it topped some time in the 60's, this was probably 3-4 years ago, we high stumped it so the owner could have a bear or some nonsense carved out of the stump...last I knew its still there and still a tall stump

I just wish I knew how to use a spring board then... as it was the flip line wasn't long enough and I had to stand on the back fender of a truck and reach to cut it off where he wanted it... kinda spooky when your'e cutting by brail with no where to run...

Too easy! I'm pretty sure the bare-earth vs top-level DEM data already exist; while the analysis is processor-heavy, it's not difficult. I'm guessing that somebody has already done this and just hasn't reported it to the general populace. I could make a few calls, but, really, I don't want to know. I'd rather folks go out and hike and measure the old-fashioned way. It's more fun like that.

Atkins or Taylor found some 300' + spruce in Nor Cal on foot without LiDAR.

Daisy, Raven's Tower and a some others.

The "old fashioned way" really is cool.

There are unlikely many 300' spruce left undiscovered. But there may be some giants remaining to find in CA, OR and WA, even B.C.

:msp_thumbup:

248645d1344995112-falc_twr_600x900-jpg

Last edited:
In college I measured a Sitka Spruce that was 47" DBH and was 255' tall. The tree was known to be exactly (to the year) 100 years old. Pretty impressive.

This 102 year old timer from Victoria, B.C. remembers Douglas fir 350 feet tall in lower B.C. around Surrey back in the 1910's and 20's.

Dr. Al C. Carder, a plant biologist has written two books on historical giant trees of the world. He says his father and he measured a 341 foot long fir near Cloverdale in 1917, it was 10 feet thick, but still not as tall as the record fir tree from that district which topped 358 feet.

NCC: Donor Spotlight - Al Carder

Carder also writes about a 410 or 415 foot tree in Lynn Valley which he saw a photo of in 1920's in the old Vancouver Museum on Hastings street. Interesting recollections to say the least.

Latest posts

Back