• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Tanaka saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegerator5

Champ = THE Powerhorse lol
Reaction score
Looking for a working or non working tanaka chainsaw.

Mainly:
Ecv-4501
Ecv-5601

Or possibly

Always heard great things about these saws. Never got a chance to try one. Heard great things, so I'm looking to buy one. Or possibly trade a saw for one.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I had an ecv-5601 in very nice shape that I sold to a friend/tree service. He says it is a great saw and really likes it much more than the Pro series 50cc Stihls..

Keep in mind that the compression test was done at 6000 ft elevation, so adjust it up by 1.2 to get the compression at sea level.

Have another you want to sell? Or does your friend want to sell it?

Have another you want to sell? Or does your friend want to sell it?
I am sorry, I don't have another, just wanted to share pics and my experience with one.

The carb on this one did screw up, and wouldn't fix with a thorough kit replacement and removing plugs even....

There is a Chinese 52cc/62cc clone that the parts will virtually swap right over, ended up getting a carb for the Chinese clone for $20 and fixed the Tanaka.

I will ask my friend, but I don't think he will sell it no matter what.

I suggest a PM to the good member Guido Salvage above. These saws aren't common anymore (never were really) as they were $650-$700 new a while back....

I do appreciate the insight.

That is why I was hoping to grab a decent used one. Not common, but very High-end quality saws.

What is the Chinese clone? Possibly if they are cheap, maybe I'll pick one of those up until I one day hopefully stumble across the real deal. I've had decent luck with the clones.
My earthquake cs3816 (redmax g3800) is a pretty stand-up saw. Nothing amazing, but hardly cost anything either.

As to Guido, I appreciate him reaching out, but he has a different tanaka. So I'm probably going to pass on that saw.

I know this is an old thread, BUT it is possible the Hitachi saws are the same as the Tanakas. The reason I'm saying that is I have several Tanaka/Hitachi string trimmers that are clones of each other. The Hitachis are listed frequently on fleabay.

Yes, the Earthquake is a clone of the Redmaxes, but without the strato ports and carb the Redmax GZ4000/400 have. The Ryobi 10532 and the Sears Professional 40cc saws are closer copies of the Redmax GZ400 and Redmax GZ4000, respectively. All are great little saws. The Ryobi and the Sears also have a genuine Zenoah engines, not the chinese clone motor in the Earthquake.

I appreciate the feedback and help. But the newer tanaka and hitachi saws are not what I'm looking for. They are made in China, all plastic, very cheaply made sawsmmm I currently own the 40cc in tanaka and hitachi, and a tanaka 33cc. Bought all 3 needing work. Parts for these are very expensive. The 33cc tanaka needs a carb... And a replacement carb I think was $65 when i looked it up... The 40cc hitachi has a fried piston. Essentially a parts saw.. And the Tanaka 40cc needed something small. I don't remember what. But I took it from the hitachi 40cc...

I was hoping to find the older high quality tanaka ecv-4501 or ecv-5601.. I'd also maybe be interested in an ecv-3801...

But again, I do greatly appreciate the knowledge and you reaching out!

Latest posts

Back