Tandem falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Prolly most of you guys have cut timber side by side with another cutter, well today was my first time...and it was awesome! A guy came out and cut with me today and we flat layed out the timber. This guy evidently went to school to cut high grade walnut veneer. I learned some tricks and showed him a couple.

We were pretty evenly matched; near the same age, same skill set...I out lasted him physically :msp_w00t:, but I won't hold that against him...it was in the high 80's today. I was a little apprehensive about cutting that close to someone but it worked great! Normally if another cutter is with me, they are across the hollar or something...never right beside me.

One trick he taught me was a bore cutting technique where the stump had 3 main points, he skipped the notch like I do but he bored between the 3 points leaving them and popped the back 2 to release the tree with a finger on the front to keep from jumping the stump. Pretty neat actually!

Anyway, I just wanted to express my enjoyment of working beside a good faller and having a VERY successful day! :msp_biggrin: Hope everyone made it home safe today! Cheers! :cheers:

Yep. It was about a 2ftr across the stump, very tall. It was a neat cut...don't think I will be trying it though. Leaving the tree standing on three points...you would have to really be able to read a tree.

It sure can make for a good fun day can't it? Don't forget though, it takes time to build the trust needed to do it regular. Even then ya still keep a good eye on them, like they should be doing to you also.

You're gonna have to explain the new cut better. I'm not getting something in there.

Owl

templar- here it goes... The three points I am I am talking about were where the stump naturally flaired into the root system. He basically left those, boring everything else out of the heart. When he cut each one, he sloped the cuts downward.

Spotted Owl- what do want me to explain?

I could see the 3 point thing in my mind. How do you cut with no face?

I will make a vid of it 2moro. Not his way but mine...just a non-face cut bore, I saved the perfect tree today just so I can film it.

kid...you should have seen this! It was awesome. I think he is cutting with me 2moro and maybe he will set up another one for the camera. I have a real sidelin' set to cut 2moro with several leaners.

templar- here it goes... The three points I am I am talking about were where the stump naturally flaired into the root system. He basically left those, boring everything else out of the heart. When he cut each one, he sloped the cuts downward.

Spotted Owl- what do want me to explain?

Just what you have been explaining. This is interesting. I'll look for the camera stuff when you get it up. I'm just having a hard time picturing this in my head. All that matters is that it worked well, and nobody was hurt. Sounds like a fairly common set up around your parts.

Owl

Just what you have been explaining. This is interesting. I'll look for the camera stuff when you get it up. I'm just having a hard time picturing this in my head. All that matters is that it worked well, and nobody was hurt. Sounds like a fairly common set up around your parts.

Owl

Well, the non face cut bore is sort of common. I learned it years ago cutting a tornado damaged set of ERC. The three pointed bore is not from this area and I don't figure it is common. The guy learned these technique while cutting high grade walnut in Idaho (maybe Iowa...I can't remember). He said they do all kinds of different stuff out there to eliminate any fiber pull. I will shoot both techniques 2moro.

It sure can make for a good fun day can't it? Don't forget though, it takes time to build the trust needed to do it regular. Even then ya still keep a good eye on them, like they should be doing to you also.

Owl

I forgot to reply to that part ^^^. It was fun, having someone right beside you heightens your alertness so much it is like a rush. All focus on your tree, and dropping it with up most preciseness is pretty intense! We always made eye contact before either was back cutting and generally used hands signals for direction of drop zone.

while he may get his trees on the ground, don't be too impressed. there are better ways to achieve the same results. What would he do with a big veneer forked red oak thats leaning perpendicular to the forks? there's more to cutting timber than getting wood on the ground, and it can be done without fiber pull. I would keep my distance from someone who thinks he's that special and has no directional control. Do what you know best, keep an eye out for new skills, but be consistent, and you will do well.

But, it is good to work with other fallers, thats true.

Spur cutting? well, root flare will give you enhanced hinge strength for sidehilling, that must be what you (Randy) are referring to, from some of my cutting.

while he may get his trees on the ground, don't be too impressed. there are better ways to achieve the same results. What would he do with a big veneer forked red oak thats leaning perpendicular to the forks? there's more to cutting timber than getting wood on the ground, and it can be done without fiber pull. I would keep my distance from someone who thinks he's that special and has no directional control. Do what you know best, keep an eye out for new skills, but be consistent, and you will do well.

I learned the hard way with the forks on a big red oak. when those forks hit the ground and collapsed ... that log split from the top down. Now in hind sight I would have spent more time with a directional fall other than just putting it on the ground.

Anybody with a saw can put wood on the ground and leave a jackstrawed mess. It takes a real faller to directionally fall trees and lay out the wood nicely.

I find these "no face" methods to be ignorant, IMO. I do understand not wanting to split, rail, or otherwise bust a high-grade log, but not putting in a face cut is just asking for a trip to the ER; the short bar bore cutters are even more at risk using that kind of cutting.

Keep your distance...

Last edited:
forestryworks- Yes, I see what you mean. Normally the way I lay timber down is in groups, then all that gets skid out then I go back and hit it again to keep things all tidy. The really bad leaners are usually left alone until everything is cut around them then they get cut, unless the leaner is leaning in the direction of the rest of the trees. See, I am supposed to have a skidder with me no more than a half day behind...so I don't ever lay the entire set out in one cut, this keeps everything nice.

hammerlogging- I don't what he does about forks falling perpendicular and possibly busting. Normally the boss does most of the top busting when he decides to bring out the Hydra Ax. We don't sell veneer logs, the only ones I even know of were cut buy some buddies of mine a couple months ago. From what I heard of the ordeal it sounded like a pain in the tail. These were 78 walnut trees, they were dropped and skid to the field where a guy would come out and tell them what and where to cut as far as limbing and topping. I have yet to hear the sale price. but I do know that the cutters were paid high wages for this area.

Last edited:
Well...the other cutter showed his operator side and stayed at the landing...ALL DAY! I asked my boss about him and he said the guy used to log but he is mainly an operator, he runs a D8 and excavator for my boss. I had a senior faller that was part time, well he retired and that is why this guy is around.

I laid down a beautiful set today. I took my boss back in the timber to make sure what I have been doing was a well laid out set or a jack straw mess. He said it was super nice and well planned. Then he asked me why I carried him back there :laugh:. I said I just wanted to be 100% re-assured that what I was falling was good enough for him. He looked at me, smiled, and said, "You been on that logging forum again? I am the one that pays you, trust me if there was a problem you would hear it from me. Turn the computer off and just do what you been doing". I smiled back and thanked him, and went started back after my saw. He hollared out, " It's hot and your over a day ahead of the skidder, you have done enough for today, thanks." So I carried my ass! LOL!

vid is going to be uploaded this evening hopefully

Sounds like you're liking this new crew man! I remember awhile back you were asking about running your own numbers hows that whole deal workin out fer ya? Sounded like it was a little complicated for my skillset...anyways, correct me if i'm wrong, but the root flares you're talking about, they the same thing as butt-dresses? err uh i mean buttresses...anyways, im excited to see the videos, stay safe out there feller errr uhh i mean faller :bowdown:

Two chains- hes just stump jumpin. Typical walnut cutting style. Fall everything with the lean and no pull. That's what hes after or used to. Like Hammer said that bs doesn't fly when you've got to swing(turn) a big ass red oak to lay crotch flat and if you don't she'll split the last log if you're lucky and damn near to the butt if you're not. NO directional control there. I wouldn't turn my back on that. And by the way all the ####in around that has to be done to get that right-(bored and cleaned) I'd have two or three trees on the ground. Seriously, not trying to brag or boast, but its A LOT of ####in around in the dirt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back