Targeted Vertical Speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonner1040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Moving some big sugar maple logs, FAST

TreeStuff.com Tech TIp: Targeted Vertical Speedline - YouTube

(I felt like this got lost in the other thread, and continuing to post different topics in that thread didnt make sense, so I broke this out on its own and will continue to do so as new content comes out. I apologize to those that see it twice as a result of the crosspost)

I can think of a half million times when that could be helpful! I wish I could do that stuff reliably every time. Seems like the conditions never line up to "ideal", to be safe I do it old school small pieces.

I dunno man, I can do that by letin it run thru a porty with a tag, seems like alot of stuff to set up for the same result.

What's the deal with chaining the butt log to the stump? Didnt look like there was anywhere for it to go after you dropped it.

I use speedlines occasionally.... but the situations they work in are few and far between. When they go well, they really go well! I've only used vertical speedlines a couple times, and I think they're of limited use. FWIW, I don't often negative rig either. It's just too hard on gear. For blocking down, even with relatively large trees, I find it just as easy and fast to set something up on the ground - a crash pad, or a perimeter of blocks. Then slam 'em down. It's not really that hard to flat drop your blocks with a bit of practice - no need to go sending them down spinning. In the time it takes to set the speedline up, then re-rig it at each cut, sling the piece, retension it at the ground, make the cut, wait for the guys to remove the sling and roll the block out, then send the slings back up every few blocks or however many slings you got, you could have just made a couple of smaller block cuts.

Are you working for treestuff bonner?

Shaun

Back