Taylor Draft fan making noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Taylor 750 draft fan is making a "knocking/clicking" noise when engaged. More of a knocking instead of a high pitched clicking. Seems to stop when I power off the fan (though the fan is still spinning down).

Should I disassemble and lube? It's not hitting anything as far as I can tell. I'd hate for it to freeze up but that's where I'm thinking it's headed. Fan is about 7-8 years old.

Thanks for any suggestions.

My Taylor draft fan made a little noise at startup and shutdown on those extremely cold (0 degrees) mornings. No noise at full speed. The noise has stopped now that the temps have warmed up a little. I assumed it was due to metal contraction of the fan housing due to the cold temperature.

Yours is older than mine, however, so you may need a little lubrication. You may want to give Taylor a call. They have been very helpful whenever I have had a problem.

I think I would buy a spare just in case..
Yes, buy a spare. 8 years is about twice as long as fans have lasted on my T-450. There may be a creosote buildup in the sqirrelcage area that causes clicking but you said more of a knocking which leads me to believe your bearings are worn out and/or sloppy.

Alrighty then...

I've got a spare Taco pump, makes sense to get a spare fan. I will say that the noise is reduced to almost zero now that it's over freezing. I'll take a look at the fan this weekend to see if there's maintenance items I can take care of.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back