Tearing into the little XL this weekend...now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Gotcha, I definitely saw 2 screws only and one was bigger than the other and they were not very close together, so I'm guessing I have no H adjustment option like you said. I will take some pics this evening and get back with you tomorrow. Thanks.

blackoak

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, so 2 adjustment screws total means idle speed and a low speed jet only. No H to adjust, so this won't be an option. Lots of smoke is a big clue because these saws very often lose their duck-bill valve in the oil tank and this causes bar oil to be sucked into the engine. Next step I'd take is to remove the oil cap and look inside where the upper line enters the plastic tank. There should be a small metal tube on the end with a rubber lipped valve stuck onto this. Please tell us what you see.

Dan

I bet his valve has fallen off and is doing just that, sucking bar oil into the cases. It's a very common problem with these saws, but very easy to cure if you can find a new duckbill valve.

Last edited:
lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK, that verifies it. Your carb has a fixed H jet, so there's no adjusting it. The one adjustable needle is the Low speed mixture. Now, back to the oil. Did you happen to look inside the oil tank yet?

Dan

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmmm. Yep that duckbill looks to be in place. I'd start looking into the fuel system then. I think its already been mentioned, but I'd make sure you have a clean fuel filter and check that the fuel line looks good. A compression check and crankcase pressure/vaccuum test would be nice, but I'm not sure you'll have the tools around for doing this yourself. Cleaning the carb and putting in a new kit wouldn't be too far down the road to try.

Dan

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oh yea, I forgot. Clean that air filter! It does look like it needs a cleaning from the first photo. Those foam filters can be cleaned using a detergent with water. Squeeze it to get all out ya can. Clean it good and make sure its dry before running.

Dan

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Outa my league

Okay, looks like this is going to go way beyond my capabilities. What am I looking at in cost if I take this to a pro to fix? I appreciate all the help.....wish it was a simple fix.

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Really, just try a few things before the last resort. The foam filter as can be seen in your first photo will just pull out of the metal cup it sits in. Just give her a good cleaning, make sure its dried out, and see if you see an improvement. The fuel filter just pushes onto the end of the fuel line inside the gas tank. I usually use a bent metal wire (coat hanger before they turned plastic) to fish them out. A new filter is only a few dollars.

If these fail, I can understand you being intimidated trying to put in a carb kit. I can't tell you how much a shop would charge to diagnose the saw, but I'd imagine it'll be at least $20 to $30. Best thing to do is ask local shops and see what they say. If you decide you want to try to do a carb rebuild, its really not that difficult. I'm sure you can get plenty of help here if you deicde to take this approach.

Dan

hill

ArboristSite Operative
thanks

well, I thank you sir for the help. I'll go ahead and change out the spark plug, drain the gas and change the fuel filter, and clean up the air filter and pray for the best!! If she doesn't cooperate after that I reckon I'll have to find someone to work on it for me. One last question: Where might I find a fuel filter for it? Do the Lowes/HD stores carry that or does this saw require a specific filter? What's your recommendation on "checking the fuel lines"?

hill

ArboristSite Operative
spark plug help

I'm having trouble locating the recommended RDJ7J and DJ7J champion plugs. Could someone please explain to me what these #'s mean and if tell me if there are any other plugs I could use in place of the above?

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
One of my quick references for Homelite plugs says a DJ7Y is fine for a little XL and Super 2. I've used these with no trouble. As for a filter, there's several varieties that all will work. The originals in all XLs I have use a replaceable felt over a weighted bob. I haven't looked in HD ow Lowes for a filter, but any small engine shop should be able to hook you up with one.

Dan

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Wishful thinking....plug pics?

Here's a few pics of what the plug looks like. Any chance this could be the culprit? I guess this is my last ditch effort for an easy fix!!

Thanks.

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
My apolologies for the late reply. Yea, the gap looks a bit large in that first pic. I'd certainly try replacing it and make sure the gap is set (.025").

Dan

lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last edited:
lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here's a Link to the champion website describing their part number designation.
Here's another Link talking about the heat range designation. The "8" means you had 1 heat range hotter plug. I'd suggest replacing the plug with the one specified for the engine.

Dan