Techie Toys?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both the iPhone and iPad.

The iPhone is great. Ringer sucks.(Not very loud). Camera on the phone is half decent. My email is pushed directly to the mail on the phone. No need to wait and get home to find an email that you could have used during the day. With the 3G, I can check the weather radar during the day and plan from there.

The iPad is handy as well. Actually I do most of my Arboristsite & other web surfing on it. Hardly surf on my desktop at all now. I bought the one with wifi and 3G, but do not use the 3G as I would have to set up a separate account in addition to my phone's 3G account. So instead, I use my phone as a "Hotspot" (kind of like a portable wireless router) and can then surf on the iPad through the phone's account.

I'm still getting used to to the iPad, learning what it can do. This summer I hope to do all my quotes and invoicing with it, however I don't think it will ever replace the small notebooks I like to use. It will just replace the briefcase full of stuff that I now carry around. - which means a lot.

I have a Vio POV1 helmet camera. They're fun. Taking footage is easy. Editing it will take you as long (or longer) than the filming if you want it to be interesting. I did not use mine that much last year as I got too busy. Even on some of the "cool" big technical jobs. I just wanted to get them done. I knew I would not have time to edit the footage, so I thought "why bother"? I still have unedited footage from the previous year.

Helmet cams used with iPads & YouTube can be a good tool for the customer to view your work. Just remember to keep it short. What you may find interesting, other may not (chainsaw cutting for 5 mins).

BTW..... Just did this on my ipad.:msp_thumbsup:

GoPro

I have a GoPro and love it. Have used it hunting, mountain biking, snowboarding, and whitewater kayaking. Yet to use it cutting trees.

The whole tree video thing is pretty gay. I have a POV1 and some vids on Youtube, but I'll be the first to tell you that it is a love/hate relationship. Now that I own my own operation, it's about getting the work done and getting paid, nobody seems to care about Youtube videos. It's kinda like chainsaws, nobody really cares about the latest and greatest saw/accesories except a few guys rubbing one out in the AS saw forum. Granted I am into that kind of stuff, but the public just wants the work done.

My best work is done when I don't have a camera tied to my body, I really don't have time for that #### anymore.

SwyMan I pay $20 every 45 or so days for 3G usage and can turn it off at any point to extend my time, never do though. Nearly everyone here has wifi and there are hotspots everywhere. I don't have a smart phone as I only use it for calls, but that can be your hotspot as mentioned above. I have arbo apps on it such as Leafsnap and Dirrsguide and use Invoice to go for all my estimates and invoices. This has truly been a help. Instead of spending an hour or more writing things up when I get home, I do it at the site and send it then. I do still carry the notebook to help with my memory but as soon as I get the calendar worked out it should be one less thing to do. Pen and paper will never leave the truck, but the IPad is my goto all the time.

The whole tree video thing is pretty gay. I have a POV1 and some vids on Youtube, but I'll be the first to tell you that it is a love/hate relationship. Now that I own my own operation, it's about getting the work done and getting paid, nobody seems to care about Youtube videos. It's kinda like chainsaws, nobody really cares about the latest and greatest saw/accesories except a few guys rubbing one out in the AS saw forum. Granted I am into that kind of stuff, but the public just wants the work done.

My best work is done when I don't have a camera tied to my body, I really don't have time for that #### anymore.

i know what you mean! Although I think having a few GOOD,edited videos on a web site or whatever is a good thing. I would like to get a helmet cam this summer but I will prolly have to force myself to use it lol. I would prolly be better off to get someone who doesnt work for me to take some video from the ground of some choice takedowns. whenever i have an employee do it it just ends up pissing me off somehow. I just wanna get the job done and get every one home safe. I get paranoid sometimes when there are cameras around.

The new gopro is better. They worked out the problems with the Fisheye look.

Come on Nailsbeat its not gay. 90% maybe. I here you on the no time. I just did a cliff side job for the most notable guy on the island. Huge house with spectacular views. I had time for 2 quick pics.

I put an IPad2 into the fleet last summer and so glad I did. I show pics vids and can instantly email a customer an invoice or estimate with it. I track sales can print out anything and use it with google earth to find an out of the way address. Best money I've spent yet. Makes all the time with the family Family time.

Just broke down and bought the IPad3 today. Of course, I had to buy the most expensive model...

And I ordered one of those Square card readers to process credit cards.

I'm looking to get a little more organized and have the ability to track my business.

Just broke down and bought the IPad3 today. Of course, I had to buy the most expensive model...

And I ordered one of those Square card readers to process credit cards.

I'm looking to get a little more organized and have the ability to track my business.

I had a thought on the Ipad of being able to take a picture of a tree and show the HO exactly where the major cuts are made for a trim job. I assume I'd easily be able to attach that picture to a contract so there is no questions on what would be done. Also good if I'm not gonna be on the job I could just print it out for the guys.

I'm sure there will be a million uses for it... I prolly need to hire my 12 YO nephew to come work for me for a month or so and show me how to use the dam thing... :)

I have a T-Mobile Mytouch Slide 4g, and my partner runs a Mytouch Slide 3g (both very capable smart phones). We use them non-stop. We use the GPS feature to find jobs (since we live in an area with 7 different cities in close proximity, there are a lot of different street names and a lot of traffic spots to avoid at different times). We also use it constantly for sending/reading e-mails, and use it with some of our lead services to manage customers. They are invaluable, and have saved us a ton of time.

I am interested in getting setup to do printed invoices in our vehicles. I might have to pick up a cheap laptop and a bluetooth printer to run. I try to scan into the computer every invoice and estimate, and keep them sorted by month/year to help keep track of the work that we do. If I were able to just save the estimates/invoices, it might make this process quicker/easier. Would also allow for maintaining electronic copies, which are much more difficult to misplace/lose as compared to the stacks of paper copies.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has ever lost an estimate form, and had to go digging through phone records/e-mails or went driving through neighborhoods in an attempt to reconnect and check in on customers... Really embarrassing!

~Will Courtier~

Big Will check out invoice togo. not sure if it available for your system, but an awesome app that really works.

Got my little Square credit card reader for the IPad delivered today... And a few other techie toys like a camera connection kit... Man, this week is dragging by. Can't wait to get the IPad and check it out... Supposed to deliver Friday but I have got a full day with two good sized removals that day so I won't be able to sit around and wait for it... I'm actually busy for the foreseeable future and don't know when I'll really be able to sit down, play with it and learn how to use it... Being busy is a good thing tho.

My first post from my new iPad... It came as I was loadin my gear this morning. This thing is sweet! Gonna be hard to put it down and get in my tree today!

Damn skippy. Mine is the worst habit I have had in twenty yrs. what a useful tool though. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back