Techniques For Cutting Hung Leaners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ther is also a good alternative shown in the first referenced video to bore a square hole in the trunk and use a smaller limb in the hole to roll the tree.

Part of the hazard with this situation is in separating the stump from the trunk due to the tremendous tension in the trunk while it is still attached. Once the trunk is separated the problem gets MUCH easier.

This is basically what our instructor taught. Cut a little on the top compression and then walk the bar around an come up from the bottom.

Yes.
RE “tremendous tension” on top. Yes it will be a lot more than usual but easy to deal with. You just make your face cut shallow then do your back cut. If you are worried about barber chair then use a plunge cut for the back cut. Remember too that it looks like it is hung in the other tree so that reduces the tension.

Better know what you are doing, but this works on learners too.

That looks EXTREMELY dangerous. Sawyer has little control of whee it goes. Lots of energy released quickly. Just hope that the sawyer is not in the way of it or whatever the sliding tree might pull down with it.

That looks EXTREMELY dangerous. Sawyer has little control of whee it goes. Lots of energy released quickly. Just hope that the sawyer is not in the way of it or whatever the sliding tree might pull down with it.

Yeah I don’t believe I’ll be trying that cut …
Me neither! There is way too much canopy limbs and dangerous stuff moving way to fast to predict where your escape route is.

I got a Notch slingshot. I tossed the bean bag and line so I could pull up a bull rope. Goal was to pull down some white oak branches from a dead tree so they would stop falling on the trail. I used my truck to pull the bull rope. Since you are not allowed the use of a truck you could use the Marsden puller others mentioned with some rigging. My thought was to pull up high to get it to drop out of the hang.

I enjoyed the bucking class I took last year. I enjoyed watching the felling class more but did not take the field test. We had more trail maintainers taking the class than forest employees. Some of the forest employees looked like they never touch a saw before.

Me neither! There is way too much canopy limbs and dangerous stuff moving way to fast to predict where your escape route is.

You don't predict an escape route.

You plan it, clear it of debris if necessary, know where each foot is going when, and you hit the escape route when it's time.

If possible, have a backup route planned, though many times that doesn't happen.

You don't predict an escape route.

You plan it, clear it of debris if necessary, know where each foot is going when, and you hit the escape route when it's time.

If possible, have a backup route planned, though many times that doesn't happen.
True.
I should have said all best laid plans are good, but there is stray pieces of wood that can fly anywhere especially bringing the canopy closer to you.

Back