Tecomec Jolly Evo runout?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hopefully I’m the only one with this issue, but thought I’d share for fun. Got a Tecomec Jolly Evo and a CBN wheel. I’ve done hand filing, 2-1, and I have a HF POS that I’ve used for ruining chains that were already ruined.

Start it up for the first time and it’s running wobbly by about +/- 0.020”. That means I’ll be having nothing cutting but one little spot on the wheel, and only once per revolution. Motor shaft is true. Tried several different wheels including the ones that came with it and same results. Turns out it’s the adapter that mounts the wheel to the motor shaft. So I got some 2” diameter aluminum and made this:A5764E4A-2591-4613-AFB7-6C7C9CA9C772.jpeg
Truly, overkill is underrated. Original part in my fingers on the right. It runs true now with about .001” runout, which is probably the limit of the machine plus my tooling.

Why didn’t I return the thing? This was bought with my Fool Around With Stuff budget, and I’m fooling around with stuff. Plus it was a good excuse to tune up my lathe, which has had too many wood projects done on it lately.

So I guess this is a PSA. Tecomec may be having a bad batch of parts on this model. I’m actually really impressed with this grinder (I guess especially compared to the HF thing), but if you’re getting one, make sure you check it for this immediately and be sure you can return the thing if it’s a problem.

i have had wheels not flat , out of round, and arbor holes not on center. fun stuff. one stone wheel was so bad it exploded while running up to speed.

Well possible, but you can not re-shape those cbn ones. As I do commercial grinding I see all sorts of chains not just one or 2 types. from those tiny little 1/4" to Harvestor ones. That's a lot of expensive cbn wheels , some of which could be sitting for quite some time before being used again. A 2mm width wheel works pretty good for the 1/4 and 325 micro/pico units. That would be a custom cbn wheel.

Latest posts

Back