Tell me about those little electric splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 1 of those dr 5 or 6 ton splitters for free. Used it a little. I put it on the tailgate of the truck. I have only used it on wood that I gave up on with the maul, or fiskers. That little thing split about 1/2 of it.

I'd only be splitting slab, 1" to 2" thick, pretty much knot-free. I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

No, no problem at all, kind of slow tho. Hatchet might be a lot faster. But in the shed with nothen better to do, it will work just fine.

most require 2 hands to actuate splitter one to to hold power switch one on the valve.

I've been curious about these things but have never seen one in action.

Is the 2 hand deal typical of most of them? That sounds like it would be awkward. I'd think you'd want one hand free to steady the wood.

I've been curious about these things but have never seen one in action.

Is the 2 hand deal typical of most of them? That sounds like it would be awkward. I'd think you'd want one hand free to steady the wood.

I pulled up a couple manuals. Looks like 1-handed to me. Turn it on, push the lever. From the description it has auto-retract. I don't know. You'd have to ask "blades" what he's using.

all the ones i've seen, you have to hold the motor button down, then use the lever to split, then let go of motor button for return. one word of caution on the splitters, i've seen some of the motors assembled with cap screws to hold both ends of the motor together, then loosen resulting in motor failure, try to find one that has through bolts/studs to hold both ends of the motor together. mine is made with through bolts, and has worked very well for the last two years since i bought it. matter of fact, i haven't used my gas splitter since!, i split about two or three cords a year with it:msp_wink:

The 5t Speeco is a one-handed operation. There is also a stand available from Speeco for it that works well, and brings the height up to a nice working height for small rounds. I think it would be great for slab wood!

Some are single some are 2 hand, The one I have is some 12 years old. Before every mothers son had one available for sale. At the time it was what I could afford, and as my back was all torqued up it resolved the issue of swinging a maul. Max size of stove at that time was the same as the little splitter. This particular Harbor frieght edition is a singe acting cylinder, hydro out, when you release valve or motor on button spring return of ram. It is not designed to run continuously as the only fluid is what is in the system -no reservoir, so it would overheat in short order do not think motor is a continuous duty cycle either. Was way better than some of the hydraulic jack units in the same price range at the time.

Good for back up on smaller rounds..
Fit in the Living Room too..

I wonder if I might suffer the wrath of the Mrs. if she came and found me splitting wood in the living room? May have to find out this winter. :D

1 vs. 2-handed operation

I'd check before I bought one. Not interested in short duty cycle or 2-handed operation. We put up around 1/3 of a cord yesterday, for next year, on the gas splitter. We split slab 6-8 pieces at a time.

You aren't into hand splitting at all? You could do it the same way you start with a round, up on a tump or another round inside a tire. Pack it with flat slabs and lay on with an axe. A fiskars or just about any light weight axe will split slabs like crazy fast and easy.

I bought a load of slabwood from a mill once, a decent big truckload for silly cheap like ten bucks or something, to cover the outside of another cabin I had, only used half, the other half split into firewood, man, it went fast. I think that was hemlock ..pft like 38 years ago, memory a little hazy on that.

With that said, I may eventually have to pop for a smaller electric splitter myself if my dern elbow doesn't heal up. I can technically split one handed but it just isn't the same and is an effort and not very practical for mass quantities. I can run a saw fine and handle the wood, just can't take the shock of splitting. Don't know what happened but past month or so it has sucked.

A new one or a used/cheap gas one with a dead engine and repower with an electric motor. Have 220 at the wellhouse, can split next to that.

You aren't into hand splitting at all?

No, I'm not. I could split all my wood by hand. I have. Then I could take some time off until I got the feeling back in my wrists and elbows. No thanks. I'll stick to my machinery.

If I could find a cheap hydraulic splitter with a dead engine, put an electric motor on it, that would probably work. I haven't found one. I've put 220 in the garage for my radial arm saw, and I'd want a 220 motor for a full sized splitter application. That kind of defeats what I'm trying to accomplish, but thanks for the idea. I hope your elbow gets healed up. In the mean time, take care and don't make it worse.

Just a note on motor voltage from an old factory electrician. :)

Using Ohms Law, doubling the voltage to a load will cut the current requirement, or amperage in half. It won't give you any more horsepower. It will just use less current.

I dunno if this will help the conversation but I'd like to pass it along. We've been splitting with an electric 16-ton Ramsplitter for a couple years now. It has a 2 HP commercial C-face motor, runs at 120 volts. It works fine on a 15 amp circuit, all day long. :)

Just a note on motor voltage from an old factory electrician. :)

Using Ohms Law, doubling the voltage to a load will cut the current requirement, or amperage in half. It won't give you any more horsepower. It will just use less current.

I dunno if this will help the conversation but I'd like to pass it along. We've been splitting with an electric 16-ton Ramsplitter for a couple years now. It has a 2 HP commercial C-face motor, runs at 120 volts. It works fine on a 15 amp circuit, all day long. :)

I've got a 12" DeWalt 790 RAS. It works fine on a 20 amp 220 volt circuit, and the lights don't flicker when I fire it up. ;o)

Back