Tell me I am quite insane, please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaking femurs would take quite some doing. Those are some large bones. Ankles, tibia, or fibula more likely. If I were to land sideways then a hip is a possibility. The best solution is to simply NOT FALL! Pretty basic ain't it? Rather than program myself for disaster by all these lovely scarey scenarios. I will slowly gather all the necessary stuff, and go have some fun. Yep 5' is about right. Then 8'. all the while practice getting up/down. I won't do anything until I read the "tree climbers companion"

I am in the middle of BFE out here. Asplunt runs a crew around here once in a while. Every year or two?? NOBODY else is climbing trees. So finding a Mentor isn't going to happen. I will "figure it out" on my own. There was no "training" on doing crazy stuff on the lighting either. That just happened. Ladders on top of scaffolds, 40' extension ladders over star wells.... Expanded planks propped up on all sorts of stupid stuff. Forklifts with pallets...

Oh, back in the day I would slide out a steel cable over the arkansas river... about 40 feet over the rocks... good thing momma didn't see that! Um, no harness, saddle safety net, nothing. I would go hand over hand until my arms got tired then toss a leg over the cable and keep going. It was a water sampling cart on rollers usually left out in the middle. I would climb into the thing and pull it back up to the end... Used to be quite a wild ride. release it and then pull it over to the other side of the river. Had to be careful about fingers getting jammed into the pulley like wheels.

Point is taken about getting a rated rope, I know that a regular rope would be silly. if I didn't have any other option I would use the steel cable from the winch on the jeep. However, the safety line is there as a precaution. when I was running a 60' genie highlift up we were FORCED to wear a harness and clip to the cage. It made me wanna jump off to see if it really would work. I rather think it would be more prudent to examine the condition of the hydraulic hoses running to the cylinders. Blow a hose and your flippin' harness ain't gonna save you! (and I had those lifts OVER F16 airplanes (yikes)).

This is gonna be fun. I can't wait to try this. If I really like it I will upgrade the climbers to something much better, and gather more gear.

Insane? No. Arrogant? Yes. I say go for it and please take pictures. Sounds like you've done a lot of stupid things in your lifetime so might as well add tree climbing w/o a clue to your resume.

Yup. Another "don't argue with what I've already decided to do" thread. He doesn't want advice, he wants validation.

Since your going to do it. Keep your rear away from the tree. I don't climb live trees, just utlitity poles.

Keeping your rear out as far a possible aids in helping the angle of the gaffs wanting to dig in instead of out.

Yes, validation. A few pointers, some constructive criticism. Thank you.
The tree climbers companion will be here soon and I will read it.
I have not bought any equipment yet. Bills come first around here.

Did some pricing, and was slightly shocked. By the time I get setup for only a few more $$ I could get a "basic climbing kit" with NEW spikes...

Interesting thread.
Has been close to 20 years since have been higher than 20 ft in a tree (bucket and platform don't count), and that was carrying 60 or 70 pounds less of fat then too!

So, was with DW at garage sale and see a set of like new spikes.
DW says "you are NOT going to buy those" .... ach well, did not buy

-- no excuse to let her remind me of the 157 CS stiches over the years and 2 weeks 40 years ago in hospital due to 'misunderstanding' between me and a tree.

Back