Temporary trunk coverage in construction soil a problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm having a reno done and much to my dismay, the contractor buried the trunk of my 40 year old maple with 2 to 4 feet of soil. This took place a week ago and it has rained the entire time since being buried. The soil is being saved for back fill and should be removed in about another two weeks. So it will be like this for about 3 weeks total. Hopefully.

Is this anything to be concerned about?
20230427_170308.jpg

I would move the dirt if I had a backhoe. It will be moved by the contractor soon but not soon enough in my opinion.
So, I'm asking what sort of time span is reasonable to leave this as is.

I'm having a reno done and much to my dismay, the contractor buried the trunk of my 40 year old maple with 2 to 4 feet of soil. This took place a week ago and it has rained the entire time since being buried. The soil is being saved for back fill and should be removed in about another two weeks. So it will be like this for about 3 weeks total. Hopefully.

Is this anything to be concerned about?
View attachment 1079995
it would be fine for a couple of days, but weeks? no
the real issue is going to be removing the dirt without battering the bark and cambium layer to death, which will cause all sorts of other issues.
Mr. contractor dude should know better, but sadly it doesn't take much skill or brains to own an excavator. (this from the guy who had less then 8hrs seat time before buying his own excavator... )

I would immediately document everything, in writing. Write down a timeline with all communications with the contractor, when this first occurred, etc. etc. and pictures pictures pictures. I would also demand that he immediately remove the dirt, carefully, and at his expense have a certified arborist come evaluate the tree and suggest a mitigation program. Based on his response I would follow up with a certified letter.

The challenge you have is that what this idiot has done won't kill the tree....... tomorrow. It is however putting the tree under stress that could lead to death down the road, and without proactive measures now, if it does suffer damage you will be on your own.

As Raintree and Northman have commented, the final few inches must be done by hand... not just around the trunk but also as they get back to the established grade.

It would also be worth checking with your local building department as far as regulations and permitting goes. I know in Austin he could be looking at fines possibly in the 5 figure zone.

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/tree-and-natural-area-preservation

As others have said, not good to restrict oxygen to the roots like that. How did that get there? Most likely with a backhoe or skid loader driving back and forth over the roots. that compaction is also bad for the roots. As will be the compaction when that is removed.

I'm sure you'll get "Oh, we do this all the time and the trees turn out just fine". As @TheJollyLogger said, it will be fine for at least a few weeks, months, or even a couple of years. But the root loss caused and the poor growing conditions in the now compacted soil will be a major stressor on that tree. Maybe it recovers. Maybe it doesn't.

It was reported to the city by a concerned citizen and a bylaw enforcement officer came by to inspect the situation. The general contractor was contacted (his name is on the permit) and he spoke to the city. It was explained that the soil would be removed in 2-3 weeks and I guess the city went along with that.

If it were in the city a few miles from here, fines would have been issued.

I will personally be involved in the soil removal and make sure it is done by hand without damage to the bark and roots. I'm temped to rent a machine and remove the soil myself but I think it would compact the area around the tree worse than it already is. So, I think I will be stuck with this situation for about 3 weeks. The backhoe that placed the soil there in the first place had a fair swing radius and was not parked directly on the main root area, but pretty close. It all happened in about 10 minutes and I wasn't there to stop it. There was no heavy equipment directly under the tree either, but there have been dump and cement trucks running back and forth past the tree within 10 - 15 feet of the trunk on one side. I did have to remove a couple of limbs (4 inch diameter) prior to the job beginning so that would have stressed the tree right off the bat prior to this situation.

And yes, no one on site thinks it's a big deal accept me and who ever reported it. I'll see what I can do with a shovel and wheel barrow in the mean time but it's a bit of a mountain. And likely the worst time of year for it to happen at all.
20230427_170350.jpg

I believe if people want to protect their trees, the contractor should put up a snow fence around the drip zone of the tree. No equipment should be used in that area to prevent compaction of that area. He already compacted the soil once by running equipment placing the soil there and then again while removing it. My neighbor uses a lawn tractor with front loader to flip compost and the area around the bins has 50 percent less grass. Maple trees have real shallow root system.

Back