Termites?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know formosan termites are a problem in the south. How about termites damaging trees in the North East? I have never actually seen evidence of this but got a call from a guy who says his pest control guy claims there are termites in his tree.

I've only seen them in trees that are dead. If I remember correctly, termites don't like live wood.

Ive seen them in white pine root systems that were still part of a living tree and other roots that were dead beyond recognition; but i couldn't say whether or not the termites were the cause of death or damage.

They need water moisture to digest the cellulose. But i bet tree sap would put them off.

Ive seen them in white pine root systems that were still part of a living tree and other roots that were dead beyond recognition; but i couldn't say whether or not the termites were the cause of death or damage.

They need water moisture to digest the cellulose. But i bet tree sap would put them off.

I should have clarified. I have seen them in trees that are still alive, but only in the dead parts of those trees. I think that is what you are saying too regarding the roots.

I don't think the termites were the cause of the death, at least early on, but my guess is their damage contributed to the further demise of the tree.

Back