Termites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenloon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I believe I have termites killing my oak trees. I live in NJ and after a few extremely mild winters it seems that the pest population is not in check. It is about a 60-75 year old oak and I am nervous about losing it due to these nasty little bugs. I am fairly certain that they are NOT carpenter ants and none of my local exterminators will treat trees. Please, I beg you guys, reccomend a course of action! Thanks!

I couldn't say without looking at it, but typically termites only eat dead wood. My first guess would be that other factors are causing decline in your oaks and the termites eating the dead wood are a secondary problem. I'd recommend getting a consulting arborist to diagnose your oak ills and go from there.

You can find local consulting arborists using the feature on their website.
http://www.asca-consultants.org/

thats right, termites and ants only get into wood that is already dead in 99 % if the time. if you want something to spray try Astro or permethrin or pyrethrin. You probably have some other problem causing the dead wood in your trees. Definately have them looked at . JPM

thanks for the advice guys! I am very worried about them. Unfortunately, I cannot find a consulting arborist that is close enough to me :(

trees, especialy oaks, can stay standing with a suprising percentage of void in the trunk.

My experiance is that ants are associated with any large tree, just a part of the micro-ecosystem.

I did the search for NJ on the ASCA site. There were a fair number of people that list NJ as areas they will work in. Maybe if you called around you will find one that you can afford to bring in to do a risk evaluation.

Look at it this way, what is your peice of mind worth? Say the RCA wants 90 an hour travle included. With a two hour round trip and 3 hours to evaluate the tree, you spend 450.

Though I do know that a few of those guys bill
well into 3 figures an hour. They are well worth it though.

Unless acreage is involved, I doubt someone could spend 3 hours on a single residential property to look at the trees. An hour, 1½ tops. Travel may or may not be extra.

Back