Testing Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlakejens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Without going off the deep end, what are some of the basic testing devices you find necessary to work on saws? I have my compression tester and am looking for a tach. Are there any to avoid or any specific models, features, etc., to look for. What else? Any input is always appreciated.

A couple of things I find need for:

- multimeter is always handy to test for shorts, broken leads, transformer winding, etc.
- vacuum and pressure testers for checking leaky crank seals. Usually end up fabricating plates with a hose fitting.
- dial or vernier calipers are a necessity to check wear and tolerances.

Some people use test spark plugs, but its not a necessity.

You've mentioned compression gauge and tach already... these are the most obvious that come to mind.

Dan

I have only worked on Stihl equipment, so I am not sure if my stuff below will work on any other brand.

The testing equipment I use most is the vacuum and pressure stuff. Before I acquired Stihl stuff, I just used a make shift kit that worked real good. I went to Walgreens and bought a manual blood pressure cuff, cost about 15 bucks. This has a primer bulb, shut off valve and gauge already on it. I then cut the tubing off right at the arm cuff. The only thing is converting the gauge measurements, but there are convertors on the web or at my stihl site.

For a vacuum kit, I just bought a Mity-Vac, I think is what it was called. Used for bleeding brakes. Cost about 35 bucks.

To seal off the case for testing, I use old bicycle inner tube material cut down to larger than the intake opening. I put that over the intake opening and then put the plastic manifold elbow and clamp back on over the top of the inner tube material. This seals real well, but is a little fussy sometimes. For the exhaust you just need a piece of thicker gasket material cut like a wedge, to fit behind a muffler. Then put the muffler back on and screw it in and you have sealed off the exhaust side.

I bought some gas line that hooks up to the impulse nipple on the case, the gas line worked real well and fit and sealed perfectly. Then I just bought a cheap connector to connect the smaller gas line to the bigger vacuum/pressure lines. By the way the Mity-Vac and the blood pressure lines were pretty close in size, so only one adapter was needed.

Stihl also makes an adapter that goes in place of your carb, if you don't want to take the tank off. The adapter fits the blood pressure line and mity vac line perfectly. The adapter was about 25 bucks.

I find that I use these tools on every saw I work on. Just to make sure that when the saw leaves I know it doesn't have any air leaks.

You can also use the gas line hooked up to the carb fuel intake and pressure test your carbs to see if they need rebuilding or are working properly.

Tom

eBayware had an auction for some Stihl

testing equipment; I think that it has ended. I didn't mention it previously JIC someone here was bidding & wouldn't welcome any extra competition. It might be worth looking at to get an idea what you might need? It can still be found using ended items (sorry I don't have link or item #)

Latest posts

Back