Texas Fireplace grate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a few fireplace buffs on here, so I'm surprised no one responded yet. I've seen these on the internet before, but never owned one, so I can't comment on the durability of it. The concept is pretty neat though. Basically taking two layers of splits and stacking one on a lower level and one on an upper level and lighting the fire between the rows. That's different from the grate that I own. The grate that I use is called a Grate Wall of Fire and gravity feeds the logs in from the top down and as the embers crumble they're pushed forward by the next split sliding down. That Texas Fireframe looks like it condenses and funnels the heat outward between the two split layers. I found a video on youtube where it seems like the owners daughter was setting one up and using it. I'm not sure how to post a link to the video but it was about 12 and 1/2 minutes long. Just type in Texas Fireframe and it should be near the top.

Looks pretty simple to build. A 20ft stick of 1/2"×1" squate bar, 6er of beer and an afternoon should be enough to build a few.

We have a few fireplace buffs on here, so I'm surprised no one responded yet. I've seen these on the internet before, but never owned one, so I can't comment on the durability of it. The concept is pretty neat though. Basically taking two layers of splits and stacking one on a lower level and one on an upper level and lighting the fire between the rows. That's different from the grate that I own. The grate that I use is called a Grate Wall of Fire and gravity feeds the logs in from the top down and as the embers crumble they're pushed forward by the next split sliding down. That Texas Fireframe looks like it condenses and funnels the heat outward between the two split layers. I found a video on youtube where it seems like the owners daughter was setting one up and using it. I'm not sure how to post a link to the video but it was about 12 and 1/2 minutes long. Just type in Texas Fireframe and it should be near the top.

The video is on the homepage of their website on the link above.

Howdy-

Thanks for the link- the one thing I wouldn't like are the large openings in the grate that would allow the coals to fall out of the grate.

I have 2 of these- with extra center sections to fit my opening better-

http://fireplacegratestore.com/products/saf-t-grate-series-fireplace-grate-1

notice the many small holes- these act like little blowtorches when you stir the coals and add a log, log lights up really fast. Also holds the coals really well. All heavy cast iron, used to be a USA foundry but now a china foundry, but the quality is great, actually I think stronger than my originals.

...Funny this thread came up, I just happened across a search that showed this grate a couple of days ago. I have a 1" solid square, all the way around, Minuteman grate that works awesome...standard grate philosophy that pretty much we all have with an open fireplace. A friend of mine asked if I had ever heard of this design. Had never heard of it. After looking at it, I think if more cross members front to rear were welded on to tighten the gap btwn the existing, to keep coals on the bottom rack...looks like a viable way to get a little better heat output into the living area. I think the trick to it is to keep enough solid splits or a round up 'top' so to speak, to bridge the gap btwn the rear and front 'raised, suspended' log...if ya can't keep that void tight with wood...doesn't heat simply 'rise??' I understand the theory behind creating a 'cavity for and a blocker' for heat to want to output into a living area...I could be wrong. If others chime in about the design, I'm all ears. Kinda on the fence with it...;)

...Funny this thread came up, I just happened across a search that showed this grate a couple of days ago. I have a 1" solid square, all the way around, Minuteman grate that works awesome...standard grate philosophy that pretty much we all have with an open fireplace. A friend of mine asked if I had ever heard of this design. Had never heard of it. After looking at it, I think if more cross members front to rear were welded on to tighten the gap btwn the existing, to keep coals on the bottom rack...looks like a viable way to get a little better heat output into the living area. I think the trick to it is to keep enough solid splits or a round up 'top' so to speak, to bridge the gap btwn the rear and front 'raised, suspended' log...if ya can't keep that void tight with wood...doesn't heat simply 'rise??' I understand the theory behind creating a 'cavity for and a blocker' for heat to want to output into a living area...I could be wrong. If others chime in about the design, I'm all ears. Kinda on the fence with it...;)
Maybe just add a top rack on existing grate??

Maybe just add a top rack on existing gate??
Good idea Mike...extend the top rack rearward into the fireplace to accommodate another round or small splits to add another depth from upward heat escape. I see what you're sayin. I guess maybe weld and brace rearward, at an angle, back down to the original grate, for some support, I suppose? If not, I would think heat would eventually droop the extension so to speak.

Latest posts

Back