Thank God for Chaps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bml

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Doing some clean up work along a fence line with my saw today and I screwed up somehow. It wasn't kickback, it was just me not paying enough attention when working in the thick brush. Anyhow, the saw contacted my left knee and the chaps saved the day. Best $80 I ever spent! Fortunately, the saw had slowed a good bit, so I didn't have to spend an hour digging Kevlar out of my saw, and the chaps are salvageable. :msp_biggrin:

That is exactly how I cut my left knee cleaning out a fence row back when I was 14. I don't think they even made chaps back then, Glad to hear they saved the day. It might be worth another 80 bucks to get a new set and not take a chance with the old ones.

I guess while I was typing two others had the same Idea

Last edited:
Ill post a pic of the chaps shortly, after I get a shower. The wife says I smell. :dizzy:

Doing some clean up work along a fence line with my saw today and I screwed up somehow. It wasn't kickback, it was just me not paying enough attention when working in the thick brush. Anyhow, the saw contacted my left knee and the chaps saved the day. Best $80 I ever spent! Fortunately, the saw had slowed a good bit, so I didn't have to spend an hour digging Kevlar out of my saw, and the chaps are salvageable. :msp_biggrin:

Good for you. You may have saved in dollars about 10 x $80. Plus the risk of infection. Plus etc, etc, etc.
I learned the hard way.

As you can see, not near as bad as it could have been, but it prolly still would have been a gusher.

ac6f469f.jpg

afc1b596.jpg

It did pull a small amount of the inner material into the saw, but not much. I'm surprised it did so little damage, but I will order a new pair.

Duct tape.

Seriously, I doubt the chain was even moving. Chaps last about six months in the brush around here, by then they are shredded.

Back when I began cutting wood in earnest for my in-laws, I had my first big saw, a Husky 61. I had been in the woods all day in the cold, digging trees out from under snow and having to wade through the stuff. I was just worn out. I remember making a cut and moving the saw over to the left with my left arm and the saw rotated a little allowing the still moving chain to contact my left leg (I didn't know it at the time). I felt something grabbing at my snowsuit. It was the chain doing what it does best. Almost got my left leg right over my thigh.

Chaps are worth every penny.

Good God man, dispose of that blood-thirsty beast of ravenous, maniacal consumption!

Glad you're safe and sound and as others have said, ring up a new pair.

Chaps

Glad you're alright man. New chaps are cheap, knees/legs, not so much...

Glad to hear, 8 or so years ago, chaps saved my left knee, deep into the kevlar, wrecked the chaps, but I was thrilled. About a month ago, I was not so lucky, too lazy to look for my chaps, stupid mistake cost me a 1/4" of my left knee cap, torn tendon, multiple stiches inside the knee area and 18 staples to close up the outside, if it was an inch lower or higher I would have really been in trouble, knee cap actually helped out where the chain hit.:bang:

With the amount of left-knee chainsaw injuries, I think half of u need to start buying and using left-handed saws, and then all of us can force the chaps guys to make then detachable at the front so we can have chap swap meets and at least get one decent pair from two damaged ones.

No chaps were harmed in the making of this left knee image below, b/c this WAS the epiphany that lead to my procurement of chaps. There's no telling some people!

And at the risk of starting one of those seriously unhealthy debates, don't thank some fairy tale deity for your lucky escape. Thank yourself for being smarter than I, and many others, were.
attachment.php

Back