thank you arbor site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonmeridew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this is not in response to madbomber's post today, I don't disagree with some of what was said there.

I just think that there are people here who have been and are now concerned with the business and technicalities of logging, treework and chainsaws in general, and I just want to say thank you to all who have contributed, especially in a positive manner, to the genuine problems and challenges this activity presents.
The other night I tried to write what I thought was a new thread about my 034 that wouldn't come down off run to idle. Some people have no idea how frustrating it is to try and make your saw run right, with hours and hours of tweaking the H and L screws, having it run well when finally warmed up, but next morning you pull the daylites out of the thing and finally break the recoil rope and ready to throw the thing out in the metal recycler. Then you try to write a new thread, and by magic something called similar threads shows up with, when you read them, thank the Lord, the question has already been asked and answered by someone who knows,(and sometimes someone who thinks they know) how to diagnose the problem, someone who cares about a problem a guy has in Northern Vermont, who just wants to be able to feed his Wood Monster--no wait that's a Wood Master,--and keep warm during the frigid--no wait, we're supposed to call it Global Warming, -- -28 degree mornings.

So thank you fellas and gals, I can read through the chaff, like I can with every thing else I read. Keep it up, keep it positive, or at least funny, and thanks again.
simonmeridew

Over the last month I have checked or replaced every part I could think of remotely involved with proper starting and running a chainsaw: impulse, manifold, fuel line, new coil, plug, rebuild the carb, check the diaphragms, I hate to tell you how many times I've had that Zama apart to check and recheck and adjust the inlet lever higher, lower and in between, no lie, maybe 35 times, is it too rich, how's the plug look? Is it fully choked?? Runs good one day, but won't start when I lay it in the snow for 20 minutes while I skid out a couple of maple logs, then I pull the starter till I think I have rotator cuff. Sure it's 20 years old but it has plenty of compression when I hold the saw by the starter cord. Take the muffler off to check for horrible cylinder gouges that I'm sure are there, but it looks perfect. Sea Foam in the gas, non ethanol gas, tip the saw down, up, over and under while it's running, adjust the needle screws innumerable times. Yes, each one is out exactly 1 turn out, yes it sometimes finally starts, but won't idle right, won't come down off high idle, but mister does it pull and cut rock maple when it's running.Nice burble with a light cut. Cut a tankful of gas, go back to refill, and it won't start. Next day it finally starts, I squirt a little carb cleaner around various places while it's running, nothing changes. New coil. No change.

So yesterday I start a new thread on AS, write the title, and up pops four old threads regarding 034 saws that won't start or won't come down to idle. Let's look at those. Main message: tweak the low needle richer or check for air leak.I've done the air leak, so Let's try the needle: Open it a sixteenth, maybe a little better start, open a little more, another sixteenth, better start and it idles, ok it's 10 below outside, put it outside for an hour to cool off, and try it again, perfection. Two pulls on choke, it pops, then three pulls off choke and perfection. Lesson: those needle screws are touchy, a little dab'l do ya. That's my story and I'm staying with it.

That's good. Gettin' them carb diaphragm/gasket in the right order can get you flustered, too. She'll run like a **** outta hell but idles fat and won't start. I've seen 026/034/036 with wobbly kill switch issues like could happen. Also seen intermittent contact in the boot end of the plug lead.

possible but I didpossible but I whole whole book rank of and pulled the crank off and pulled the clutch off, and checked with soap and nothing bubblewith soap and nothing bubbled.

LOL he's a robot. Pleeze someone in Vermont put him back on the charger.

o check pressure tools to check pressure bI don't have any tools to check pressure vac so I took the crank off inso I took the crank off and the clutch off and the clutch off pulled it through with soap suds, no bubbles

boy that's the last time I try to post a reply lying in bed with my little smartphone. I tried it twice and gave up.
what I was trying to say was that I don't have pressure/vac tools but I did take the flywheel and clutch off the crank, and pull it through squirting dish soap solution around the seals...but no bubbles, and there wasn't any wobble when I flexed the crank side to side.

someone who cares about a problem a guy has in Northern Vermont, who just wants to be able to feed his Wood Monster--no wait that's a Wood Master,--and keep warm during the frigid--no wait, we're supposed to call it Global Warming, -- -28 degree mornings.

I care Simon! I live there myself.
I feel your pain on the cold. Been working in a sugarbush lately, the deep powder is a ***** added to the cold temps.

I'm not big on the orange and white saws but if you have any Swedish saw questions, hit me up. I got a few of them.

boy that's the last time I try to post a reply lying in bed with my little smartphone. I tried it twice and gave up.
what I was trying to say was that I don't have pressure/vac tools but I did take the flywheel and clutch off the crank, and pull it through squirting dish soap solution around the seals...but no bubbles, and there wasn't any wobble when I flexed the crank side to side.

do you have a shop air compressor ?
if you can turn the pressure down to 10psi you can use that. an "red necked" bicycle pump could work if you can fit an end to it
lateral movement on the bearings will give indication of bearing "failure" but not necessarily seal failure( which the pressure test will)

who cares about a problem a guy has in Northern Vermont, who just wants to be able to feed his Wood Monster--no wait that's a Wood Master,--and keep warm during the frigid--no wait, we're supposed to call it Global Warming, -- -28 degree mornings.
I feel your pain, man! Just make sure that before you post a new thread, that you've used the search tool. Even then, you'll still have some people grumble and groan, but most people realize that not everyone on this site is a chainsaw expert. Most folks here like to help.

What part of the NEK are you in? I lived in the St. J/Lyndonville area for several years, and still visit family up there on a regular basis. 30 below zero was a common occurrence in the dead of winter. It still didn't keep me from 100-200 mile trips on my snowmobile! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent the last 8 weeks trying to get that 034, actually 034super, running at all, then trying to get it started reliably, then idling. There's nothing worse than getting up in the woods through the deep snow, and it won't start. We have 2 other 034supers, they have had marginal carb issues also, I've learned alot taking them up to Chainsawr in Stannard, Levi really helped me. While I was there, I looked at the new dolmar 6100s,IMPRESSIVE they'll take a trade, but I won't trade a chainsaw to someone if we can't make it run right first. And now its running so well, why would I trade it? Like fixing a roof if it isn't raining.

we've lived in Wheelock for 40 years. Plenty of snow for snowmobiles, best in many years. 1 to 3 inches of powder every night. They say it won't be above freezing in February so it'll stay good. Looks like late season for sugaring, no thaw at all

I'm not too far away in Danville. I've also made a few trips to the Chainsawr, they usually have the parts I need.

Yep, looking like it'll be a late sugaring season. That's alright, still got a lot to do!

I've got family in Sheffield, St. J, and Lyndonville. Also have many friends in the area. I lived in Sutton, St. J, and N. Concord for quite some time. My aunt and uncle lived in wheelock for quite a while, as well as west Danville. It's a small world. I'm sure we've all crossed paths at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back