Thank you Big Shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a dead pine I dropped over the weekend. Pine bark beetles killed it. Bark at the top started separating, not a climbable tree in my opinion. Set rope with the big shot, couple of pulleys to get some tension, notch and backcut. Never left the ground, total time with cleanup about 1.5 hours includes picture taking. Nice to have an open area like this to drop into. Before the Big Shot, this would have been a ladder and pole saws to set rope. Could have set some wedges instead of rope but was windy so why take the risk?
Thank you Big Shot.

Nice job, Dadatwins. I'll add your technique to my own bag of tricks. Whole groves of plantation pines are being wiped out around here, too.

works best with 10oz throwbag.not well with heavy ones.

i was shooting black walnuts so high when i first got them i lost site of them.it was nerve racking not knowing where they would come down.can't live without it now.

Big shots do save a lot of work. I have never seen anyone throw a line over a limb 100' high.
Call me crazy but I would have climbed that tree without a second thought. I would leave myself the option to retreat if the top was too dead, but from the pics it didn't look like it had lost hardly any strength at the ground. Then again, I would much rather cut the whole thing from the ground when there is room.

I really hate the new pouch on the Big Shot. Too bad you cant get the old anymore.

I was using 1/8" slickline. Do you need to use a thinner line? 70' is my limit by hand. I got some rocks to go 100' but with a 10 oz weight and line, 70' was the limit with the big shot.

Slick line is pretty heavy, I like ZingIt 2.2mm

I've done some funny stuff with the bigshot. One time I had a fence clearing in a small back yard. All the dead crabs and buckthorn had 3 ft of garden or more in the way. So I set a rig line 60 ft up in the over hanging silver maple swing all the trahs trees out of the garden.

I was using the 8oz weight and the Zing-It line and was generally overshooting my targets (which were about 60' or so). I'll be doing some more this weekend with a few 80'+ targets, and I'm not expecting that to be a problem.

Definitely a great piece of equipment.

Nice web site Greenman. Specializing in meadows. You create meadows? I like how you itemized the task you preform. Might try to narrow down what I do best and get it down on my web site. Thanks for the idea. I like to keep it nature friendly too.

Luv mine

I love my Big Shot and cannot imagine being without it now.

It is also a hit when I throw parties launching rocks into orbit out over our lake.

I can launch one so high you lose sight of it.

Nice web site Greenman. Specializing in meadows. You create meadows? I like how you itemized the task you preform. Might try to narrow down what I do best and get it down on my web site. Thanks for the idea. I like to keep it nature friendly too.

Thanks!

Yep - I create and maintain meadows and wooded areas. Lawns, too, but I prefer a more natural look. :D

Big shot

If your not getting 90 plus feet from your big shot, your doing something wrong. You need 8 feet of pole under it for it to reach its potential, One 6 ft pole section is not enough. 12 oz weight with slick line, drop to one knee, and pull that pouch way down. I hit 100 foot Tulips all day long. Thanks Tobe.

Corey

With 1.75mm Zing_It or my new 1.4mm Fling It, a 10 or 12 oz pouch, and a quick release, it is easy to achieve heights of 110-140 feet. You can even set up a 2-1 on the QR for mechanical advantage. Now, you've got that puppy stretched out almost all the way to the bottom of the 8 foot pole.

Graeme McMahon has gone one better, with his fabricated setup utilizing two big shots, and can hit targets at 200 feet, I hear.

Scott Baker uses 80 lb test line in his fishing reel, and a 6 or 8 oz pouch for 150 foot shots....

Wowthat is a bean pole! I wouldnt want to climb it dead. Tug and pull was my favorite method of dropping trees. I dropped some monsters. If you get a line high, it is amazing how much leverage you can get and how easy it is to pull a big tree. I got a picture somewhere of a 7' cottonwood we dropped doing this.

Wowthat is a bean pole! I wouldnt want to climb it dead. Tug and pull was my favorite method of dropping trees. I dropped some monsters. If you get a line high, it is amazing how much leverage you can get and how easy it is to pull a big tree. I got a picture somewhere of a 7' cottonwood we dropped doing this.

Its def. fast...get in get the job done get paid.

Latest posts

Back