Notch big shot trigger issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtreeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought the notch big shot trigger a few months ago since I find it difficult to hold the big shot steady when launching a throwline into the canopy. It worked well at first and I was able to set lines up in trees with ease. Recently however I have been struggling with it. I used it today to set lines in some poplars and had the worst time. Most of the time when I used the trigger, I didn’t get a full shot. It was almost like the throw ball just fluttered out of the big shot only going about 40 feet or so. There is some sort of added friction going on somewhere between the throwball and the pouch that is preventing me from getting a full shot. The throwball seems to just flutter out of the big shot if that makes sense. The only thing I can think of is the throw ball is hitting the inner side of the rubber tubing where it connects to the pouch. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have similar issues? I use a 14 oz throwball. One of those traditional egg shaped throw lines. Thanks.

Are you shooting it on the underside of the pole or on top of the pole?

When I first started using a big shot I would pull the elastic over the top side of the pole. It wasn't until later that I realized it's better to go underneath as it seems to shoot with much more consistency.

Your problem may be totally unrelated but I thought it would be worth a "shot."

Probably not your problem, but make sure your throw cube is out in front of you, the line is clear, and nothing can get caught during launch.

I had a number of bad shots because of excess friction from the line running against something.

Got the trigger but haven't used it yet. Could it be catching the line at all, or not releasing smoothly?

Back