Thank You To All That Helped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Please let me know if this is not appropriate. Anyways, Just wanted to say thank you to all for your time and help in my previous thread of helping ID and Chain removal of my saw. I just got back in from a little run to a nearby town. I did remove the chain and bar assembly from my saw with ease to clean it, and practice the removal process. It was as easy as I thought, thanks to all the help. I was honestly overlooking things earlier and did not think it would be that easy. Reason for my thoughts are that I bought the saw at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $5 from a gentleman that just had the carburetor rebuilt but said it was not easy to start. The price was right and at the time, I did not own a chainsaw. I used it a couple of times quickly and it does take a couple of minutes to start, but I am new to all this. After buying and running a couple times, it was still hard starting then I realized that the fuel line was cracked. So my dad and I took it apart carefully as the fuel line ran through the handle assembly and we replaced it, but took a little while. So after taking a bunch of things apart to do such, I was aprehensive to do it again for the chain.

Anyways, I took the cover off, and it was plugged solid with 'moist' wood chips and fibers. I cleaned it out to the best I could, blew it out then cleaned with brake cleaner and blew it out again. I reassembled the saw and went shopping. I picked up a new sparkplug for it. The store did not have the correct Champion plug in stock, so I bought the cross-referenced NGK plug for it. So, shortly, I will head back out and replace the plug and try it out again. I will hiopefully report good news in a little bit. Once I get it running good and reliable, I will buy a new chain for it. But then the only problem will be what saw to use... The new MS171 or this old guy. I really like them both, but this is teh first saw I owned. Thanks again.

Hello and welcome to the world of chainsaws. If you thought a female was hard to get along with, a chainsaw makes them look like a walk in the park on a warm & sunny day.

When cutting, stay focused, take your time, don't get too tired, and take some rest breaks. NGK plugs are as good as any brand out there. I buy them exclusively for all of my O P E.

Enjoy your saw and stay safe!! :rock2:

Ok. Update time... Not good! So I got it running ok, cut a couple branches good, then it all went south from there. I tried it on some branches, it cut ok, then died. I looked and saw the fuel level was low so I topped it back up again. Ran it in the garage and all was good. I put the saw on my bench after a few minutes running. A few minutes later I saw a puddle under it, and it was gas. I wiped it up, started and ran it again. Died, and looked the tank was low again. So I took it apart again and removed the fuel tank thinking it was a hole. I emptied whatever gas was left and blew into the top of the fuel tank while plugging the fuel line I disconnected from the carburetor. I heard air leaking from somewhere. So I removed the fuel line I replaced last year and tried the blow into the tank test again while plugging the fuel line exit, and the tank was solid and had no leaks. It appears that my dad gave me some sort of line(clear hose that is probably not meant for fuel) that was a bit smaller than factory which fit snugly at first, but hardened very stiff and shrunk causing a small leak at it exits from the fuel tank. So now I have to do some research into the correct fuel line diameter and size so I can buy a foot of it and replace it with the proper type of fuel line. Also to note, the tank filter is hard and brittle so I will replace it as well. So until I have some free time to get the proper items, the saw will sit waiting.... But, when I get it runnung again, I will do another update, as long as this white stuff stays away..... Thank you.

Just a quick question for those in the know, can I use any 'in-tank' fuel filter', or do I need a specific one? Thank you.

While out at my parents for dinner tonight, I brought along my 'Poulan 2300 CVA' just to do a compression test as it is something I had never done. So right after dinner, my dad and I headed out to the garage to do the test. Compression was right down at 0. So I am thinking something wrong with the tester as I am confident there is more than 0. Try anothr tester and it too read at 0! So I grab his saw and try the testers again and turns out they were both faulty! Anyways, While there he found some clear fuel line of the correct diameter. Also, he had an old well used fuel filter which I also 'borrowed' while waiting on mine to arrive that I ordered. So I rebuilt the fuel tank and reassembled the saw. Waiting for tomorrow to give it a run up and see how she goes.

Latest posts

Back