Thanks Everyone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips, info, and advice. I put together a nice mill with a Stihl 660, GB 36", and Unistrut slabbing rail. My project is to build a post and beam barn using 8x8's from on site white pine. Got 3 of them milled out this weekend. Got to get a bit better avoiding the wain. These beams will still work though.

I think I've attached a few pics. Doing most of this work by myself wi th not tractor, so you've got to get smart about moving logs. Great to work on them at waist height... but that means you've got to get them up there. The barn is going up where the beams are lagered. The rail/roller system worked like a charm pushing those 10' beams up there.

Thanks again everyone. More pics when I get a chance. The 20' tie beams will be a real piece of work!

Nice site and plenty of good wood at hand. Curious, what sort of foundation will you use?

A tip from another newbie, if you slap a few wedges in your kerf after 3 or 5 feet, it won't close up on you. Maybe less drag, smoother cut. Looking forward to seeing your progress! :cheers:

Woodsurfer, the foundation is going to be sonotube piers with ruble fill in. The way I have the logs cribbed they are supported at two points. Not sure where the wedge went in that picture, but I've been slipping one in at each support as I cut.

By the way, I tried (with limitied success...) cutting two 14" logs at a time. I figured less time setting up the slabbing rail. It worked, but too much binding from the two logs moving independently. I wonder if every newbie tries that trick?

Some of you said earlier that white pine cuts quick, it sure does!

Latest posts

Back