Thanks for all your advice - first time out with saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it sounds like a good practice. And as to the danger, there must be some parts of the western world that are free from safety restrictions...

What width of bark do you need to take off? I've heard of trees recovering from ring barking if the cuts aren't wide enough - the bark re-bridges

when we do it it is just the with of the saw chain. we havent had this problem on the jobs we did but you can also double ring it or use chemicals. make sure your cuts line up all around the tree too you dont have to cut very deep just the cambium layer.

They used to do it in our forests and I came up on one that was cut
and left teetering and I pushed it down and called in a complaint for
hazardous work practices. They said they did not expect people that far
back in the bush but I have noticed the practice is fading! It is common
sense you don't leave lodged trees,hangers, or girdled trees. How would
they feel if it killed someone on public property to have broken safety rules?

Thanks 385XP. It was a hard 4 hours, and I have about the same to go just in this one 5 acre section, with many additional sections still to do. I'll be working at this over the coming years.
If you have a lot of this to do id get a smaller saw you wont tire out as fast.
I have a stihl 192 rear handle that works good for tsi.
:cheers:

They used to do it in our forests and I came up on one that was cut
and left teetering and I pushed it down and called in a complaint for
hazardous work practices. They said they did not expect people that far
back in the bush but I have noticed the practice is fading! It is common
sense you don't leave lodged trees,hangers, or girdled trees. How would
they feel if it killed someone on public property to have broken safety rules?
our work is done only on private property and the land owener is made aware of the hazurds before we start. the way i look at it its no more dagerous than walking through a patch that has just been logged or a timber that has died on its own.

our work is done only on private property and the land owener is made aware of the hazurds before we start. the way i look at it its no more dagerous than walking through a patch that has just been logged or a timber that has died on its own.

Sure, but you are making a lot more of those potential killers than nature would have.......:greenchainsaw:

the way i look at is if your time is up its up no mater what.

The way I look at it is; I don't want someones life on my shoulders!
I understand it is on private property but kids don't understand posted!
I am not trying to bash you and am glad you got a good saw. I just tried
to shed some light on the practice you employ and let you see from different perspective!

We (Michigan Tech university Forestry) girdle trees often. We create no more "snags" than was in the stand in pre-settlement time. These trees weed out un wanted species and provide wildlife habitat. We do it on the local recreation trails and the state of michigan does it all over, and have never had an issue with it. The trees we girdle are healthy pre treatment and are not girdled deep enough to weaken them beyond that of a normal dead tree.

Because of our intense forest management many stands are left with less than 1 snag/acre on average. So we girdle a few to boost that back up to normal levels and provide the wildlife habitat that existed before our management started. No different than people walking through an "old growth" stand.

Last edited:
We (Michigan Tech university Forestry) girdle trees often. We create no more "snags" than was in the stand in pre-settlement time. These trees weed out un wanted species and provide wildlife habitat. We do it on the local recreation trails and the state of michigan does it all over, and have never had an issue with it. The trees we girdle are healthy pre treatment and are not girdled deep enough to weaken them beyond that of a normal dead tree.

Because of our intense forest management many stands are left with less than 1 snag/acre on average. So we girdle a few to boost that back up to normal levels and provide the wildlife habitat that existed before our management started. No different than people walking through an "old growth" stand.
Guess what if the unsafe practice kills my grandson while squirrel huntin
what ya think is going to happen? It is a silly practice that needs to be
stopped, there are better ways to provide habitat! I see how the people cut them leave just a little in the center probably funded by PETA members!

Guess what if the unsafe practice kills my grandson while squirrel huntin
what ya think is going to happen? It is a silly practice that needs to be
stopped, there are better ways to provide habitat! I see how the people cut them leave just a little in the center probably funded by PETA members!

If you can figure out a good way to create standing dead snags that is better than what we do now then by all means let us know and we will give it a try. O yeah we also debark some trees with the head on the processor also.

If you can figure out a good way to create standing dead snags that is better than what we do now then by all means let us know and we will give it a try. O yeah we also debark some trees with the head on the processor also.

Top and squirt would be better than cutting or injections but
really between ice storms and wood borers who needs more dead than
nature provides?

Like i said in our area we have less than 1 standing dead tree per acre so nature isn't providing us with many. We don't get ice storms we just get 20+ feet of snow, so our trees are well adapted. Topping would be great but it is also time and labor intensive.

Like i said in our area we have less than 1 standing dead tree per acre so nature isn't providing us with many. We don't get ice storms we just get 20+ feet of snow, so our trees are well adapted. Topping would be great but it is also time and labor intensive.

Labor means work, good for the economy and safety should never be placed second fiddle to profit or budgeted out!

How are you going to top a tree in a northern hardwoods stand? Trees are too small to climb and no room for equipment without tearing the land up...

Unless your up to climbing a 6" diamater maple. Nobody local has ever done it.

Edit: I guess it is a regional thing, it is done commonly all over this area. So i guess that means no squirrel hunting for you. I spend all season in the field and have never feared a girdled snag falling.

Last edited:
How are you going to top a tree in a northern hardwoods stand? Trees are too small to climb and no room for equipment without tearing the land up...

Unless your up to climbing a 6" diamater maple. Nobody local has ever done it.

Edit: I guess it is a regional thing, it is done commonly all over this area. So i guess that means no squirrel hunting for you. I spend all season in the field and have never feared a girdled snag falling.

I have climbed smaller but your talking brush not trees that is
a huge differance! What I was seeing was twenty inch oak being
girdled!

We do girdle 20+" trees. A few weeks back i girdled a 28" hard maple wolf tree. Topping large trees removes all of their wildlife habitat values that we are trying to preserve. If we top then then you are left with a standing pole, where we want limbs and tops for birds to nest in. Like i said it is a regional thing.

We do girdle 20+" trees. A few weeks back i girdled a 28" hard maple wolf tree. Topping large trees removes all of their wildlife habitat values that we are trying to preserve. If we top then then you are left with a standing pole, where we want limbs and tops for birds to nest in. Like i said it is a regional thing.

Re gen tarted there is plenty live limbs for birds to nest in, help even birds are smart enough to nest on live limbs! It is because they want pine and no oak here, just greed thats all!

Last edited:
Here we have bird and mammal species that nest in dead trees, so got to kill them trees somehow and preserve the characteristics that the critters prefer. We have no $$ value for doing it just purely for wildlife purposes with some "weeding" of nonnative invasive species. To each their own i guess.

Here we have bird and mammal species that nest in dead trees, so got to kill them trees somehow and preserve the characteristics that the critters prefer. We have no $$ value for doing it just purely for wildlife purposes with some "weeding" of nonnative invasive species. To each their own i guess.

I have seen birds nest in trunks of dead snags not on branches!
Anyway topped can have stobs ya know I would think permanent
structures ,simulated snags might better serve and conserve our
forest!

Sometimes hunters will girdle a tree to kill the foliage in a tree they want to climb for early deer season to have a better view of the area. In no way is safety a factor. Dead trees can stand for yrs upon yrs before falling over. And as others have said at no more a rate than they would naturally.

Latest posts

Back