Thanks for all your advice - first time out with saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsfcks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice and knowledge. I was out for the first time with my new Dolmar 5100S (and related PPE) based on your recommendations here. I was doing Timber Stand Improvement (basically girdling trees, cutting a ring around the trunk), so it was almost too easy. The saw really wanted to fell them instead! I did safely fell a few small 8"-10" trees. I can see why this can get addictive, and this will probably be the first saw of several :). Thanks!

Now I'm just a greenhorn, so don't bight my head off...

Isn't that the way old timwers used to clear land - 'ring bark' them with an axe then come back a few years later when they were down? Also, trees are living things, sometimes they die (storm damage, desease etc.), a ring barked tree won't be any worse than them. And they're only a danger if they're in a populated area (can't argue they should be cut down then)- if you're in the woods you should be aware of dangers, like a tree about to carc it!

Maybe I don't know what a timber stand is... I'm assuming its woodland? Have I got the wrong idea here?

Congrats on the new saw I have heard a lot of good reviews of the 5100. I have a 7900 and it has been a good saw for me so far I really like the dolmars now. I dont understand why you would want to girdle a tree like that what is the reason behind it?

Now I'm just a greenhorn, so don't bight my head off...

Isn't that the way old timwers used to clear land - 'ring bark' them with an axe then come back a few years later when they were down? Also, trees are living things, sometimes they die (storm damage, desease etc.), a ring barked tree won't be any worse than them. And they're only a danger if they're in a populated area (can't argue they should be cut down then)- if you're in the woods you should be aware of dangers, like a tree about to carc it!

Maybe I don't know what a timber stand is... I'm assuming its woodland? Have I got the wrong idea here?
Sounds like you have the right idea

I do tsi proffesnaly and girdleing is standard practice the main reason is you dont have a mess afterwards and you dont reck the trees you are trying to improve by skining the bark off or breaking limbs.

Last edited:
Most off the time you are trying to get rid of the undesirable species. It like weeding the garden. The trees usally fall in little pieces so they are not really that dangerous you dont girdle big trees anyways.

Most off the time you are trying to get rid of the undesirable species. It like weeding the garden. The trees usally fall in little pieces so they are not really that dangerous you dont girdle big trees anyways.

OK, that makes some sence - like alder in parts of out woodlot - but is they are small, why not just cut them down?

OK, that makes some sence - like alder in parts of out woodlot - but is they are small, why not just cut them down?
So you dont get the mess and you dont damage nearby desirable trees.

385XP is correct. I'm new to this but am working with a State forester, so this is a recommended practice. The trees I am girdling are the undesirable species eg elm etc that are competing with desirable crop trees such as oaks and walnut. This is a native forest area, therefore there is not enough open space to fell the trees without causing some or significant damage to the crop trees. Girdling the unwanted trees lets them die and rot in place. This avoids them competing for water and nutrients, and opens up the canopy. This, and the girdled trees, provides shelter and food for a large variety of woodland wildlife, and when they do fall they cause significantly less damage. Where I can I am felling the trees directly. I am also cutting off at the base any young crop trees that have been damaged by flood wood, hoping they will regrow from the stump.

Also meant to add that this has not been done for 20 years or longer (if ever), so many of the undesirable trees are not that small.

Last edited:
tsi really works i have went back to some off the first jobs that i did and the timber looked really healthy. It is defanently worth doing to your woods.:cheers:

it sounds like a good practice. And as to the danger, there must be some parts of the western world that are free from safety restrictions...

What width of bark do you need to take off? I've heard of trees recovering from ring barking if the cuts aren't wide enough - the bark re-bridges

Thanks 385XP. It was a hard 4 hours, and I have about the same to go just in this one 5 acre section, with many additional sections still to do. I'll be working at this over the coming years.

Say that eh so you stand under the tree I will climb up and shake
it see if it don't kill ya? It does not take much of a piece at fifty foot to break a neck it is dangerous and should be prohibited from practice.

Back