Thanks from a new member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singletrack100

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi to all, my name's Duane and I'm brand new to the site. I was compelled to join in order to give a thanks to all those who have posted so much regarding chain saw performance, modding and tuning. I recently purchased a used 029super, very clean, including a view of the piston and ran well. This was to give myself a break from my 066M when wood cutting when limbing and cutting smaller logs. I set adjustments as best I could with stock limiter caps in place, and went cutting with it. Though it cut and ran fairly well, it was not what I was hoping for, and ended up with the 066M back in my hands cutting on the larger end of trees.

In all fairness, I live at 7140ft, and was cutting at about 9000ft, and this was first time out for the "new" saw.

After researching online low power outputs of 029's, which is not what I remember from a friends 029 years ago, I continually came across many threads regarding tuning (getting to four-stroking), muffler mods and the infamous limiter caps. Armed with all this info, I completed a muffler mod, tuned what I could with limiter caps, tested it on pinon rounds approximately 18", reworked the MM some more, defeated the limiter caps, achieved four-stroking at WOT no-load and clean running in the pinon! Though it is louder, it certainly pulls better through the cut, which is harder than the aspen I had cut with it prior (up to about 14", then changed saws). I look forward to my next trip out to try it in the field, but am very impressed so far!!!

So, to all those who have posted regarding these and other tricks and knowledge: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Happy cutting!

Latest posts

Back