Thanks Guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chass

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I got going for the first time on my csm this weekend. Nothing to brag about but it was a start. Your advice was very helpful and in the end I wound up with 8 nice cherry boards, 2 sore shoulders, and 1 sore back. I will be doing it again this weekend.

Thanks again.

Chass
View attachment 57181

View attachment 57182

Good job.

Nice looking boards. Be sure to take care of them. Top quality cherry is worth some $$... but you probably already knew that.:cheers:

good job... guess the neighbors didn't mind you makin' all that racket in your driveway there? Read up on how to sticker and dry them so you don't end up with some thin wide firewood a year from now. Do you do any woodworking?

Woodshop,

I’m just starting to get back into wood working. Three years ago I started building a cottage up north and all wood working not related to that project stopped. Now that the cottage is for the most part done I’m going to pick up on the wood working again.

The cherry is stacked, stickered and the ends are sealed, did the sealing right after I dropped the tree. Something I learned here.

The neighbors didn’t complain as I only had the two logs. I’m sure it would be a different story if I had a truck load. From now on I will be doing all my milling up north and I don’t think I will have any neighbor problems there.

Chass

Woodshop,
The neighbors didn’t complain as I only had the two logs. I’m sure it would be a different story if I had a truck load.

Something myself and other have found regarding this, if you get some of your immediate neighbors involved in some way, there are way less if any problems concerning noise and milling mess unless you do it 24/7. In my case, my neighbors know I'm the guy with chainsaws when they need something cut up... so they don't complain when I fire them up then. Also, they all know I have a woodshop and I've helped some repair/fabricate things in it. Once they are involved, they don't complain about the noise and mess.

if you get some of your immediate neighbors involved in some way, there are way less if any problems concerning noise and milling mess unless you do it 24/7.

That’s sound advice.

As a favor I have dropped a few elm trees for my neighbors; they always offer the wood to me. No thanks, I manually split two face cords of elm once. After that I decided being cold wasn’t all that bad after all.

You know, now that I have the mill I might rethink that next time.

Oh neighbors are fun:) I have a rather large band mill coming home this weekend, I don't think I will do much milling here in the yard as I am on really thin ice with most of them.....it started with the beehives......but an endless supply of honey quieted them down.....then the ducks came along and they started fussing again.....so I let them throw stale bread at the ducks and they quieted back down.......cant wait to see what they think about the sawmill.

Back