That explains the low compression...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had a few spare minutes to look at a scrap 009 I was given for parts. It had very little compression but just for giggles I tried a squirt of fuel down the carb throat and to my amazement it fired. It wouldn't run but that start was enough to make me look at it further. Pulled the jug and found these rings...
20180605_182153.jpg

Whoever had this saw certainly had their monies worth out of it.:ices_rofl:

I still can't believe the ring hadn't snapped. The piston skirts are clearly worn and the plating worn through in places but no scoring. I'm certainly not going to the expense of replacing either on this saw but will chance £4 on a set of cheap nasty AM rings and see what happens..

Anyone ever seen a ring that bad before? :laughing:

Yes. I worked on an ancient Green Machine/Shindaiwa trimmer once that belonged to a horse farm, trimmer used for 40 hrs. a week for 15+ years by work crews.
Started and ran, but sluggish and poorly.
Looking in the exhaust port, one of the rings was in pieces, the other one was hair thin.
Put in a new set of rings, sent it back to the farm.

Had a few spare minutes to look at a scrap 009 I was given for parts. It had very little compression but just for giggles I tried a squirt of fuel down the carb throat and to my amazement it fired. It wouldn't run but that start was enough to make me look at it further. Pulled the jug and found these rings...
View attachment 656232

Whoever had this saw certainly had their monies worth out of it.:ices_rofl:

I still can't believe the ring hadn't snapped. The piston skirts are clearly worn and the plating worn through in places but no scoring. I'm certainly not going to the expense of replacing either on this saw but will chance £4 on a set of cheap nasty AM rings and see what happens..

Anyone ever seen a ring that bad before? :laughing:
Piston skirt wear doesn't cause that much problems on a reed valve two stroke.
The 009's are notorious for oilers pooping out. -Which are obsolete.

Piston skirt wear doesn't cause that much problems on a reed valve two stroke.
The 009's are notorious for oilers pooping out. -Which are obsolete.

To be honest I know absolutely nothing about the saw only that it has been sat in a scrap pile untouched for many years. I may be lucky in that the oiler worked before the lack of compression retired it but I'll not lose any sleep if not -
I don't ever likely see the saw being put back to any sort of serious use and its only my curiosity about how bad things can be but still actually have a running saw that's got me looking at it.

Just replace oiler guts on my 009l last year with oem. Was not all that expensive. Mine seems to go through coils.

I have a 011 that is like that. It just wore out. My first reaction was I will just get a new jug and piston. After looking it over I discovered every thing was worn out completely. After I ordered a new jug kit and found it it was incorrect so ordered another and now I have two cylinder kits with a very worn crank. So what does one do other than fill up the scrap metal pile. Thanks

I have a 011 that is like that. It just wore out. My first reaction was I will just get a new jug and piston. After looking it over I discovered every thing was worn out completely. After I ordered a new jug kit and found it it was incorrect so ordered another and now I have two cylinder kits with a very worn crank. So what does one do other than fill up the scrap metal pile. Thanks
20180224_195514.jpgSame deal with are 011. By the time the engine gave up everything else was shot to.

To answer the how long - homeowner question I am pretty comfortable saying a lot longer than I would ever even dream of keeping a high twisting late model odd number Stihl in my fleet. Just like these old little saws better myself. I would contend it takes a pretty active homeowner to wear one if these little 09, 10, 11, etc.saws out. I would venture more are killed from ethanol ingestion or being straight gassed than actual wear.

Latest posts

Back