The ant and the grasshopper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have 2 guys at work who heat there garage/shop with wood. They are both as able as I am to cut wood. One used to sell wood as a side job. From the title you may have guessed where this is going. They are almost out of wood and Im sitting on 5-10 years worth cut, split and stored in a shed. One asked me today if I would sell some. I didnt really have an answer.

I like cutting wood. Being outdoors working is so much better than my day job. The wood I cut is on my neighbors land and I figure this wont last forever.

So all summer I cut, split, hauled and stacked. 2 weeks of vacation in july spent building my stockpile of oak and maple. Its not for sale.

But I do have a pile of standing dead elm I just cut and split this winter sitting outside. 2 cords or better I guess. Should be good to burn now I would think and I can easily spare it. To me its a year with no LP bill.

If I sell the wood they would have to come and load it.
So fellow AS members, what is this elm worth? Would you sell some of your stash or let them drink beer in the cold?

I am not in the firewood business. Yet.

In one way you would be doing them a good turn by selling the wood. On the other hand, by the tone of your post you don't want to become a crutch for when they don't want to work to get their own wood.

I get my wood for free from a generous farmer and a couple other people I know. I wouldn't feel right about selling wood because I would be profitting on someone elses generosity. If I owned and cut from my own land, it would be an entirely different situation.

If you do sell them the elm, just charge them the going rate in your area. That way they are not as likely to come back to you all the time.

Matt

So I have 2 guys at work who heat there garage/shop with wood. They are both as able as I am to cut wood. One used to sell wood as a side job. From the title you may have guessed where this is going. They are almost out of wood and Im sitting on 5-10 years worth cut, split and stored in a shed. One asked me today if I would sell some. I didnt really have an answer.

I like cutting wood. Being outdoors working is so much better than my day job. The wood I cut is on my neighbors land and I figure this wont last forever.

So all summer I cut, split, hauled and stacked. 2 weeks of vacation in july spent building my stockpile of oak and maple. Its not for sale.

But I do have a pile of standing dead elm I just cut and split this winter sitting outside. 2 cords or better I guess. Should be good to burn now I would think and I can easily spare it. To me its a year with no LP bill.

If I sell the wood they would have to come and load it.
So fellow AS members, what is this elm worth? Would you sell some of your stash or let them drink beer in the cold?

I am not in the firewood business. Yet.

I am always in the same boat (cousins co workers, etc) give them the wood for nothing you will be repaid some way. I gave a face cord of maple to a co worker 2 years and this pass fall he hooked me up with 2 full cords of mullberry. I know it's hard to give up your hard work but trust me one way or another you will be rewarded.

I think the answer would depend on what your neighbor would think. Is he offering you access to the wood for free, with an understanding that the wood is for your use, kind of being neighborly?

If so, it might be hard to explain when he sees other people at your place, loading up the wood in their trucks.... If it were me I would just explain to my co-workers that "I have a 'gentlemens' agreement with my neighbor, that I get to cut all the wood 'I' need, and I really don't want to mess that up by selling wood or offering it to others". I would think they would understand.

Boy, I cherish the little bit of elm I have in my woods, which is 80% red oak. For some reason the elm burns better for me. I especially keep it stacked away for the really cold nights. The elm around here dont seem to get that big only around 6" before they die. But I find them dead with the bark peeled off and fully dried. It gets rock hard and burns hotter than a pistol. I guess its always good to lend a hand to a buddy. You never know when you may need a helping hand someday. But maybe instead of selling them the wood, try to trade for something they have. This way it may hit home a bit more when they actually have to give up something they "worked" hard to acquire. Money is too easy, unless you take the earnings and buy yourself something you wouldnt normally buy. Otherwise, its just put in your billfold and trickles out here and there and before long, its like you never had it.

$400 and split it with your neighbor. Its all economics, supply and demand.

I like this idea, whatever you get $$$ split it with the neighbor... You could explain to him, as you surprise him with some $ cash, that you helped a co-worker out that needed some wood, and decided it was only right that you two split the $$$$.

I like this idea, whatever you get $$$ split it with the neighbor... You could explain to him, as you surprise him with some $ cash, that you helped a co-worker out that needed some wood, and decided it was only right that you two split the $$$$.

That right there is a slippery slope into a lot more work. Once the neighbor realizes he is on the supply side of the selling firewood opportunity. Your work plus his property at a 50/50 split would be very profitable for him. Maybe that "come on over and cut all the wood you want", wouldn't be an option anymore if he finds out wood is worth money.

Matt

Some good points have been made that should help you make your decision.

I am in a "somewhat" similar situation in that my neighbor called stating that they had to borrow some wood. They didn't want to buy any, just wanted to borrow some. These are the same neighbors that told me that I had to empty my hunting gear out of what used to be my barn because their horses needed it.

Previously I let them use one of my pastures because they didn't want to fix up more than one of theirs and their two horses had eaten it bare. I said they could for a while, but that they had to make a gate and close it so that one pasture would always remain unused and have a chance to regrow. The agreed, but failed to keep the gate closed.

I approached them about it and they said that their horses needed to get back to their pasture for water (they were using an old bathtub and only had one). I reminded them of the agreement and advised that placing the tub perpendicular to and underneath the fence would allow the horses to access the tub from either side of the fence.

Turns out that they just didn't want to walk the extra distance to fill the tub and continued to leave the gate open.

I canceled their use of the pasture and haven't had much to do with them until they called wanting me to drop off some free wood.

I passed on their offer as did their neighbor on the other side of them and now they are pissed at both of us. :D

I am always in the same boat (cousins co workers, etc) give them the wood for nothing you will be repaid some way. I gave a face cord of maple to a co worker 2 years and this pass fall he hooked me up with 2 full cords of mullberry. I know it's hard to give up your hard work but trust me one way or another you will be rewarded.

Best idea yet. Why not? Tell them to take a half cord (or similar). If they come asking again, politely say that you've given a fair amount of wood to them and that the rest is for your use. End of story, no harm done. Just because you've helped someone in need, be it foolhardy-derived need or not, doesn't make you a sucker.

Why didn't they get their own wood. Were they hanging out and partying last summer or were they working extra hours due to a real hardship? If they were partying, then put the screws to them, If you sell then they are going to pay so you can take a nice trip next vacation, or get that rifle or new chainsaw....

That right there is a slippery slope into a lot more work. Once the neighbor realizes he is on the supply side of the selling firewood opportunity. Your work plus his property at a 50/50 split would be very profitable for him. Maybe that "come on over and cut all the wood you want", wouldn't be an option anymore if he finds out wood is worth money.

Matt

I agree with this guy. A neighbor got into a simailar situation cutting hedge. , He cut the wood(on the landowner's property) then sold the post to another neighbor(Dumbazz) now he(landowner) won't let anybody on his land. Don't take advatage of the land owner, he always WINS. Ask for his opnion and say "you don't like the idea, but the desion is up to him and only him". Regardless of the outcome you'll "Look Bad" Or just forget it altogether.

Double the market price and tell him he has to pick it up.

I had this done to me by a family member, 'but you get your wood for free' was his reasoning. pffft. I know where to find logs I can cut that I don't have to pay for, if I bother to add up the true cost, I could probably buy it cheaper.

:buttkick:

I get my wood for free from a generous farmer and a couple other people I know. I wouldn't feel right about selling wood because I would be profitting on someone elses generosity. If I owned and cut from my own land, it would be an entirely different situation.

If you do sell them the elm, just charge them the going rate in your area. That way they are not as likely to come back to you all the time.

Matt

I'm in the same situtation as Matt and I would never sell any of the wood I'm "given" from the job sites (Logging Landing scrap piles). These 'connections were hard enough to cultivate and if they ever found out they'd bulldoze it under (as some do). It's sort of fringe benefit.

That said, if the Elm you've got there does not fall under those contraints you could sell them some or all of it depending on how much you like or care for these guys. If it is wood you've been "given" you can still help them out with a little charity or a trade.

Me, If I was 5-10 years out would just give it too them and know they owe ya one. :cheers:

PS: I'm 3 years out and that's as far as I ever go due too the wood being too dry. Some moisture is a good thing.:clap:

These 'connections were hard enough to cultivate and if they ever found out they'd bulldoze it under (as some do). It's sort of fringe benefit.

I don't ever go messing with a good wood source. They keep my wood furnace cooking in the winter and the utility company at bay.

Matt

I had a two year stockpile this fall and someone asked if they could buy and I agreed for $85 a pickup load (1/2 cord)--sold 10 loads and should have bought some more equipment-- seems to be plenty of wood around here still and by next fall I should have another 2 year supply

I dont know about all of you, but this seems to be the story of my life. I work hard all summer and through most of the winter, searching out the wood, making friends with landowners and logging crews. Bring them a pizza or two when I show up at a landing point for the loggers that have been working in the cold. Freeze in the winter, burn up in the summer. Wreck my back, ding up my truck, tear up my chain on a rock that I didnt see. One way or another, the woodpile grows due to my labor.
Then comes the fella that didnt. I see him fishing on the river when I pass over the bridge on the way to cut wood. I hear them barbecuing up the hill in the evenings when I am stacking wood. The cold sweeps down finally from the north and suddenly "what, I dont have any firewood, or not near enough!"
Neighbor, can you be kind enough to "lend" me some wood? You have such a big stack! What would a cord or so be to you?
Its an easy decision to me, and often reminds me of the fables that we read as kids. One worker toiled away in the summer while the others played, then they wanted to share the spoils of the harvest when the winter came by.
To me, its the same as those morons that want to call for wood, and want it delivered within an hour or so. Why? Because they are entirely out of wood, and didnt notice until right this minute that the just used the last stick on the pile. They want to be placed at the top of my schedule ahead of customers that called the day before because they are having an emergency.
I like a sign that hangs in a local repair shop. "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
For me, I would tell them just turn up the thermostat on their furnace, and if they really want some wood, come cut with me this weekend. I will give them well seasoned firewood in exchange for the wood that they cut this weekend. I have told everyone of my neighbors this when they cast an envious eye on my woodpile, and had only one neighbor take me up on the offer. He turned in one cord of very wet white oak, I gave him in return one cord of 2 year old white oak that had been stacked in my shed. That in my opinion is the only way to help and teach a lesson at the same time.
Sorry that this was so long, but it sure hit a sore spot with me.
My neighbors try and borrow anything they can get their hands on around here, and it sure gets on my nerves. Co workers arent any better.

Back