The big move

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I have posted in the past I installed my homemade OWB a couple years back and have complained about my lines being wet and losing tons of heat keeping the worms warm. My original plan was simply to retrench in the good foamed in pipe. Well I went a different route.
I was always going to build a lean too off the side of my garage for wood storage so I decided that putting the boiler under roof was an even cooler idea. I poured the concrete and am currently building the structure. Last weekend I drained the boiler and using a friends crane truck swung it into place. I ran new 3/4" lines above ground through my garage and to the house. They go underground for 12' between the house and garage ran though 4" sch 40 pvc.
Once the lean too is done it will be completely enclosed and out of the weather. No more feedings at 0° with a 30 mph wind. No more standing in the freezing rain digging wood out of the ice. Hopefully it will stay at least above freezing in the lean too plus this will aid drying the wood out.
My insurance is a big problem but with proper use of steel siding and a steel roof I shouldn't have any issues.
I will say that I couldn't decide wether or not to run 1" or 3/4" lines. I went with 3/4" simply due to 1" being such an ANIMAL to work with. I run 2 pumps. One for house and one for the garage. The house has an 18" X 20" exchanger so i figure that with such a small exchanger 3/4" would be just fine and so far it is. (it's not that cold out yet either)
My only problem so far is runaway water temp. My inducer fan kicks off at 140° but my water will climb to 190° just due to natural draft. It then takes so long for my water temp to get low enough to kick the inducer back on that my fire goes completely out. I figure that this is a good problem to have. Before with the wet lines my water temp seldom went 10° over the inducer setting and would cool quickly.
I'll post pics today as I'm continuing to work on it.

This pic shows the boiler in it's old location. The garage is just to the left out of the pic. The stone you see bottom left in the pic is now concrete.
ry%3D480

Sitting in it's new home.
ry%3D480

Lines in garage. I bought all the pipe insul they had that day so I gotta get more to finish.
ry%3D480

Menards had enough insul to at least do the underground part. Small blue line is a water supply. These lines are going to my house.
ry%3D480

Ended up spending much of the day splitting wood for myself and my sil. Hopefully I can get back to it tomorrow and get the framing done so I can at least get the roof on it this week.

Ended up spending much of the day splitting wood for myself and my sil. Hopefully I can get back to it tomorrow and get the framing done so I can at least get the roof on it this week.

Cool, keep us posted, with pictures!

My firewood operation is a never ending proses. sometimes one task has to be set to the side.

Got all the framing done today along with the osb roof sheeting. Tomorrow I'll get the steel ready and start putting it on the roof. I am SO looking forward to doing the loadings in the warm and dry!!!!!

Got all the framing done today along with the osb roof sheeting. Tomorrow I'll get the steel ready and start putting it on the roof. I am SO looking forward to doing the loadings in the warm and dry!!!!!

Great work, where are the pictures!!!

Pics are coming tonight. Gotta bunch to do on it to get ready for the weekend rain out that they are calling for.
Got all the shelves built in the one half of it. (it will serve double duty as a tool shed) Osb should be all on by the end of the day and other than the sliding door it should be completely closed in.

As usual things take longer than expected. It's all closed in other than the sliding door to the outside.
ry%3D480

Gonna build wood supports from rafter to floor for stacking wood. Hope to get them done today.

Here's a shot from the other end. I have a shed that currently houses tools out back that will fill these shelves.
You can see on the right the opening to my garage. I will put a door there in the next week or so.
ry%3D480

Here's a shot from the other end. I have a shed that currently houses tools out back that will fill these shelves.
You can see on the right the opening to my garage. I will put a door there in the next week or so.
ry%3D480

Looks like a nice set up!! Sure do like the dog. Looks like a keeper.

I wasn't Joking

Her and her brother
birddogs.jpg

That's a "Great" Picture!! I knew the dog was good just by the looks. The FM would be the best of the two. They love to hunt. Self taught. Looks like good blood lines.

John

Looks great, quality job!

Love pheasant hunting, got 3 this year so far, nothing Saturday hopefully next Saturday.

AIM,
Nice job on the boiler. Not to derail your thread but those are some nice looking dogs, French Brittany? The reason I ask is they look like they could be brother and sister to my dog.
October-November-POGO043-1-2.jpg

Before anybody says any thing about the hen it is legal here.

They are springers. Gunner, my male is 10. Tori,(short for Citori) the female is 9.
Same parents, just a year apart.
Unfortunately their age is really showing in the field. About 3 hours a day is about all the male can take any more and then he'll need a couple days off. His hips are getting bad. Tori gets a bad rear leg limp for a day or so after a hard run.
Due to a pretty dramatic decline in the pheasant population I won't be replacing them when they die. I do love hunting with a dog but I guess after 20 years and hunting behind 3 different spaniels I guess I'm ready to move on to new hunting addictions.
By the way. My first spaniel was an English Cocker. A short haired version of the american cocker and actually bred to hunt.

Back