The business of doing business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I thought they were the perfect company, 3 great climbers/arborists and sharp equipment. I equate it to a championship team loaded with all stars (trying not to sound over confident here), they can only stay together so long before a conflict arises between coaches, owners, and players. Maybe the caoching style, playing time, or draft picks. The emeror has no clothes. See you in New Hampshire!

Yup, seen this kind of thing happen over and over. Problem is people cannot get over their own egos.

If you want to be in the top echelon in New England I could hook you up with a few different companies. Problem is the $$ and the top dogs are in Mass.:)

Yes, I said uniforms. Even clean ones at that. And call us prudes, but we actually shave and keep our hair short. There used to be a commercial for Cannon cameras featuring Andre Agassi, "image is everything". So true, especially when you are competing for the nice jobs and big contracts. We get told all the time " you guys just look like you know what you are doing" or your guys and trucks look so nice" both I think are code for "I can trust you". Overhead is a manageable challenge, you just have to be organized and take a calculated risk every so often. My grandmother always said being prompt and on time is very important.

i so agree hence the name outdoor images well about hte topic unfortunatly any body with a pickup truck chainsaw and acouple of buddys can do the job of say someone with five trucks lots of chainsawas and several employes can do if you are running a good honist business than i wouldent wory to much about the crack heads

there is definitily something to be said about seasons. leaf change, first frost, first snow fall, deep freeze and long nights. then once you cant stand anymore it all thaws out and the birds return and the flowers,trees,shrubs all start to pop. then the heat! and once you cant stand any more of that stuff the fall comes back!

soo much better than your options of hot or hotter you guys have down there.

i spent the better part of a summer down in the ft lauderdale area and found that heat to be a beast.

yup. i'll take the seasons thank you.

oldirty

We have mild winters here. It seems like every year though about 2 weeks in February its so cold ya can't stand it. Its times like those I appreciate the long hot summer days.

Appearance

Yes, I said uniforms. Even clean ones at that. And call us prudes, but we actually shave and keep our hair short. There used to be a commercial for Cannon cameras featuring Andre Agassi, "image is everything". So true, especially when you are competing for the nice jobs and big contracts. We get told all the time " you guys just look like you know what you are doing" or your guys and trucks look so nice" both I think are code for "I can trust you". Overhead is a manageable challenge, you just have to be organized and take a calculated risk every so often. My grandmother always said being prompt and on time is very important.

Very good point. Image is very important and some companies, even though they have been around for a long time just don't get it. Be on time, be qualified, charge a fair price, keep your equipment clean and painted, look good and you will grow quickly.:clap:

My company is small, usually myself and one other worker. Always start the day in clean clothes and groomed (never finish that way). Chainsaw pants and bright orange shirt with reflective stripes for myself and the groundie. I believe appearance is important and so is safety. When I'm in the tree it is easier to spot my groundsman instead of looking for someone in a camo outfit.

All I can say is I feel your pain. I waste too much time ranting to wife to rant on here:bang: :bang: . I would be more than happy to get ANOTHER license to set me apart from/eliminate throat cutting hacks but I'm doing my best by professionalism.

Be on time, be qualified, charge a fair price, keep your equipment clean and painted, look good and you will grow quickly.:clap:

Man, you guys just don't get it, do you? What happened to skill, training, and experience? I don't care if your guys all look like brad pitt on the cover of GQ--if they can't take a tree down without crashing it through a house, you are not going to be in business long. Alot of the best treemen i've ever worked with were rough looking guys. Heck, it's a physical, outdoor job; you have to be a little rough just to handle it day after day. And if you are starting on your second or third job of the day, you are not going to look good. I've started jobs covered in mud, or blood, or chips, or sawdust, or grease, or even soaked with sweat or rain or snow. I'm not there to deal with the customers, i'm there to deal with the tree. If they have questions or comments and are too afraid to talk to me cause i look too dirty, they can call one of our reps who will come out with his nice clean shirt and talk to them. Granted, i will always start the day with clean clothes, but have you guys ever climbed in the rain? That brown gunk messes up clean clothes fast!:)

Great website. You guys look like you know your stuff! If I was in your area, I'd love to work for your company. Don't let all the ribbing from these guys throw you, underneath it all there's..... alot more ribbing! LOL

Back