The Danger of Climbing With Unsheathed Blades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomoco

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Some homeowner just asked about the dangers and risks involved in climbing with polesaws?

My answer being yes, it's very dangerous to mix the two, if the blades unsheathed when not in use.

While it's undeniable polesaws have their place in this industry, there's always room for improvement.

Particularly true for polesaws, which have been bounced off many a limb, and done lots of damage on the way down.

Personally I've been disdainful of climber's dependent on polesaws my whole career, considering them an excuse for an inability to use a rope properly, get out to the ends and make precise clean cuts with a handsaw.

That said I've known quite a few climbers who use them to devastatingly good affect, both for pruning, and removal purposes.

What I'd like to see happen up top's a quickly interchangeable blade coupling system, allowing one blade to be used on either handsaw or polesaw, but most importantly, remain safely locked inside a sheath, be it leg or harness, when not being actively used.

Thoughts n opinions lads?

Jomoco

Some homeowner just asked about the dangers and risks involved in climbing with polesaws?

My answer being yes, it's very dangerous to mix the two, if the blades unsheathed when not in use.

While it's undeniable polesaws have their place in this industry, there's always room for improvement.

Particularly true for polesaws, which have been bounced off many a limb, and done lots of damage on the way down.

Personally I've been disdainful of climber's dependent on polesaws my whole career, considering them an excuse for an inability to use a rope properly, get out to the ends and make precise clean cuts with a handsaw.

That said I've known quite a few climbers who use them to devastatingly good affect, both for pruning, and removal purposes.

What I'd like to see happen up top's a quickly interchangeable blade coupling system, allowing one blade to be used on either handsaw or polesaw, but most importantly, remain safely locked inside a sheath, be it leg or harness, when not being actively used.

Thoughts n opinions lads?

Jomoco
I thought this was about climbing with your bowie knife!

Hastings hotsticks and hotstick accessories... ...or something like them...

I kinda like the idea of multi blade choice, curved in my right boot scabbard, straight fine pruning blades in my left.

Jomoco

I agree 100%. The 3-4 times per year that I might use a pole saw in a tree, it ALWAYS comes up and goes back down with a scabbard. Way too easy to nick the rope otherwise.

One of my easy coupling attachments for a moderate length pole, 4-5 foot long, will be a hook, just like a cane, but short n detachable.

No longer will I envy monkeys and their handy tails!

Jomoco

There's a handsaw made by jameson that goes into a standard jameson or marvin pole. Below that is an adapter I made to go from a female jameson end to the end of a Hastings hot stick.
DSCN3965.JPG

All I need now's a handsaw handle that mates to the same adapter on the pole section Jeff.

One sheathed blade on my boot, that quickly connects to either pole section, or handsaw handle with a push n click.

One blade that'll connect to multiple handles or poles.

A sheathed blade's a safe blade when not in use!

Blair used to make fun of me at the seminars cuz I always wore my boot scabbard, whether aloft or not. Called me Dirty Harry with a handsaw!

Jomoco

All I need now's a doohickee instead of a bolt!

Twenty years of thinkin bout it, and two days to do it.

image.jpeg

Jomoco

Jon please don’t get offended if I say you run a thin line between genius and insane. I personally think you’re onto something here but now that Jeff has pointed it out twice, I’m very curious about your cooler rock as well. I even searched the Latest pic and it seems to have been relocated.
Also I noticed the plant with the orange flowers or fruit. What is it? I’m looking from my phone so I can’t really see them to well and I live in gloomy Ohio so I’ve possibly never seen it

That's a Navel Orange Tree you see TreeBilly, a dying one, still puttin out good sweet sizable oranges to the end.

I think I killed the wood borers infesting it with tobacco butts wrapped in burlap strips, drowned them in nicotine!

But now we've got the Asian Citrus Psyllid running rampant and curling new leaf growth, bending and twisting trees into a pitiful state.

Neem oil concentrate applied generously at first sign of white waxy trails on the trees leaves, has been somewhat affective, though no miracle cure by any means.

Lotsa dead n dyin trees out west of late.

Some might even say far more than usual.

Jomoco

Someone gave me a cheap knock off saw like that as a gift years ago. I crack3d the scabbard opening the packaging. Needless to say day came I needed it went to pull it from the scabbard. Needless to say I cut the crap out of my hand.

Stick to the folder ever since.

Cool idea Jomoco! Really enjoy your safety posts.

Back