The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old disc harrow with three legs welded on it works well. The centre hole has three small rods welded to make grill for the embers to fall underneath and land in an inverted old chrome hubcap.
I use this on a wooden deck in front of our lakeside wooden cabin ( full scribe poplar) and have never had a problem. The other advantage is that air is able to go under the unit thereby circulating hot air more than if the fire was in a pit. Of course it is quite easy to move around should the wind change or you wish to use it elsewhere

Attachments

• F06B5179-4762-492E-9528-31DCBCF303B2.jpeg
    F06B5179-4762-492E-9528-31DCBCF303B2.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 039490B5-1203-4346-AFF9-5F6E0CA245A5.jpeg
    039490B5-1203-4346-AFF9-5F6E0CA245A5.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
recipe. firepit fun!; just add a light ~

one from the good ol... Proud To Scrounge Department:

'scrounge of the day!' it first showed up as windfall... quite well seasoned!, i mite add. big enuff to be a WMr! or close. that was about 2 months ago. saw it daily side of road end of block on daily bike rides. one day big truck rolled over it and parked. then it wa bit more than wood mash!. still, it seemed to call to me. i ignored the impulse... then one day kinda got interested. couple beers down and a few days later... decided to ck it out while out on a pups walk. had gloves. no telling what had sniffed it! pawes thru the 'dust. hmm, some nice fire starters! so pushed them aside for another day. figured could be a good bucket full of firewood starters. so couple days ago stopped and with bucket... filled 'er up! home with it i went. then yesterday cleaned out mr Brutus, and got ready for a nice campfire! used about 1/3 of the bucket full. so, for less than about 2 mins scrounging... 3 campfire starter kits... and that went well! ~
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPG

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
An old disc harrow with three legs welded on it works well. The centre hole has three small rods welded to make grill for the embers to fall underneath and land in an inverted old chrome hubcap.
I use this on a wooden deck in front of our lakeside wooden cabin ( full scribe poplar) and have never had a problem. The other advantage is that air is able to go under the unit thereby circulating hot air more than if the fire was in a pit. Of course it is quite easy to move around should the wind change or you wish to use it elsewhere
i like the application! :numberone:i have a special grill, can raise lower the grid. cable/crank. found it on local CL. made a deal as i had the same unit, but just SS grids. now a matching pair. :) paid for it. then as i got around to loading it up noticed bottom of bowl rusted out! eek! :wtf: :surprised3: and they had my $! but i thot, nbd. it is just steel pan one way or another. and they had made an impromptu repair to keep it going... an old disc harrow blade.

I have some nice fire pits. I still can't post pictures. They are old backhoe buckets. Never burn thru them.

i like the application! :numberone:i have a special grill, can raise lower the grid. cable/crank. found it on local CL. made a deal as i had the same unit, but just SS grids. now a matching pair. :) paid for it. then as i got around to loading it up noticed bottom of bowl rusted out! eek! :wtf: :surprised3: and they had my $! but i thot, nbd. it is just steel pan one way or another. and they had made an impromptu repair to keep it going... an old disc harrow blade.
The steel of the disc is very hard, it needs to be for the abuse it suffers, and mine has been sitting outside for twenty years with no harm. I fill it with branch loggings which seem to work well and last longer than you would expect

The steel of the disc is very hard, it needs to be for the abuse it suffers, and mine has been sitting outside for twenty years with no harm. I fill it with branch loggings which seem to work well and last longer than you would expect
hi Bk - bit unusual to see discs from over in the UK! :) i am more used to fish n chips, tea time and Wellingtons! lol. lived just S of London for 5 years as a youth... England: 👍

take care, mate!

'cheerio'

🤠

DANG,, I should have rotated the bucket a little, then I could have built a fire in it when company was expected!!

Zyr7ELv.jpg

As it is, I just tell people that are coming to visit to:
"Turn at the backhoe bucket"

Having the large numbers also gets their attention!!
Originally, the numbers were 6 inches tall and chrome plated,,
no one ever could find those numbers.

Actually, the chrome numbers are still there, but, on the other side of the driveway.

In 1975, I built my niece a bird feeder out of an identical disc blade.

I welded about a 4 foot length of pipe to the bottom to hold it up.
I bent a sheet of 1/8" thick steel into a "W" shape, and using 1/4" steel round bar, the "W" shaped steel was added as a roof to keep the seed dry.

The roof also stopped wind from blowing the seed out.

I was talking to my niece this past August, she said that she is STILL using the bird feeder.
She said it is the only feeder that she has ever had that lasted over ten years,,,,,,,,,,,

Here is another view of my house numbers,,

ncoJnnV.jpg

This past summer, a "family" of hornets built a nest in the backhoe bucket.
Before I could show it to my grandson, something like a skunk or 'possum ate the nest!! `~` o_O

Usually, nothing messes with those hornets,,
I stopped to look at the nest, while in the car.
Luckily, I had the windows up, the hornets started to ram into the car windows,,
They were not very friendly,,,,,,,,,

I'll have to take a pic of my pit tomorrow. My wife made me build her a screen that went over our JD garden cart. She also wanted a big magnet. She started sifting the ashes for nails, deck screws, hinges, anything metal. After she sifted all the metal out she dumped the old ashes in a dent in the yard. The pile is at least 10' long by 6' wide, and 2' high. She still has about a third of the pile left. 37 years of brush fires.

Latest posts

Back