The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made one of these for the first time. Wife enjoyed it. Kid ate too many marshmallows. He was bouncing off the walls.
View attachment 428203
Only problem I see with these is that the big log usually has to be cut with the bar and chain ripping the log. The log is set vertically and the bar is horizontal. That dulls the chain much more rapidly than a typical noodle cut where the log and the bar are both set horizontal.

Then, of course, you have to pick up and carry the log in once piece to the fire pit. I hate to sound like sour grapes, but...

Only problem I see with these is that the big log usually has to be cut with the bar and chain ripping the log. The log is set vertically and the bar is horizontal. That dulls the chain much more rapidly than a typical noodle cut where the log and the bar are both set horizontal.

Then, of course, you have to pick up and carry the log in once piece to the fire pit. I hate to sound like sour grapes, but...

I would think you could still noodle it, just don't go all the way through the log. I've made cuts like that in big logs where I had to split sections out to keep cutting, the diameter was more than two bar lengths.

Pick the bar out of your candle cut and clear the chips once in awhile and make sure you don't jam it in hard where you might get kickback.

Actually might be a *dandy* place for safety chain.

I agree with Zogg.

No need to rip that. Just eyeball how far in you need to go with the bar and drop it down.

I make the wife pack it out [emoji1]

I would think you could still noodle it, just don't go all the way through the log. I've made cuts like that in big logs where I had to split sections out to keep cutting, the diameter was more than two bar lengths.

Pick the bar out of your candle cut and clear the chips once in awhile and make sure you don't jam it in hard where you might get kickback.

Actually might be a *dandy* place for safety chain.
OK, I suppose that might work. Cut the log 20" long and then use a 16" bar horizontally, praying for minimal kickback. But, you still have to carry that big puppy to the fire pit, and there could be moisture content in the log, so it may have to dry in the sun for awhile.

Lately the sun around here has been a bit scarce.

OK, I suppose that might work. Cut the log 20" long and then use a 16" bar horizontally, praying for minimal kickback. But, you still have to carry that big puppy to the fire pit, and there could be moisture content in the log, so it may have to dry in the sun for awhile.

Lately the sun around here has been a bit scarce.
Not around here. It's about 86 today and supposed to get hotter. I also used a tractor bucket to move the newest one I made. But they aren't heavy it's been down 2 or so years. That's the size I pack them out of the woods usually.

Got to the cabin late last night so we decided to have a fire and wait for the sunrise.

View attachment 428832 View attachment 428833 View attachment 428834
That third pic is just pristine sweet! Nice centering left/right, up/down...check out the cloud reflection off the calm water. Great pic when ya look at the subtle details. If I had a cabin nestled in the woods like that for wknd getaways...folks at work Monday would be callin me 'No Show Jones.' Lol

Burning some BE and other misc uglies to get the party started. Kids are having an end of school party so we are going to be hosting an unknown number of adults and kids shortly. Once it's time to start cooking I'll get some black cherry on the fire.
image.jpg

Nice fire pits y'all got there. Does anyone cook on them too? Seems like a good opportunity to get something grilled.

The other night the neighbor built a guy and girl hot dog and marshmallow cooker for a friends birthday present.

I'm not sure they would be appropriate to post here. lol But I think you can figure it out.

Latest posts

Back