The first one/ cause of addiction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fisrt saw i ever bought with my own money was a refurb wild thing from rural king... I know i know. But it was mine and was proud of it. The saws that got me hooked were a poulan farm pro 375 and a poulan 4200 countervibe, both were given to me by my grandpa if i got them running i could have them, when i got the 4200 going i figured out what a real saw was.

My first saw was a Mini-Mac. Can't recall the model number, as I was only 8 yrs. old at the time. I used to hang out at a saw shop, way, way, back when.

I rebuilt it myself with lots of help from the saw techs. Got it all done, and the shop sold it out from under me, not knowing that it was to be mine. :mad:

To this very day, I'm still angry about it and somewhat anti-social. ;)

And you all just thought I was hard to get along with. :innocent:

Mine was a dolmar ps 510 six months ago.
I've put. 5105 top end on it, mm'd it and then got a sd 112, makita 6421 and now my next project is a jonsered 801...I'm super hooked!

My second...
73b5fb5e8e9c23f15d31544ff85ab248.jpg
70b1105d31902ad7e773fdf7c72fea25.jpg

-Efisher26-

always had a saw or 2, then I see on c/l a 1958 [my year] pioneer. thought it be kinda nice have saw made when I was. it brought me here & acres site. my avatar.
have since met mr acres a few times, and a few from here & other sites, and bout 50 more saws.
first saw ever run was poulan 4200, when they were new.

I don't think I have an addiction, but if anything was responsible for giving me a nudge it was the 'Old Giants" thread.

View attachment 531470

View attachment 531471

View attachment 531472

View attachment 531473

View attachment 531475

View attachment 531476

View attachment 531477

Addiction? What addiction?

Mark

Daaaaaaaaanng

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

I don't think I have an addiction, but if anything was responsible for giving me a nudge it was the 'Old Giants" thread.

View attachment 531470

View attachment 531471

View attachment 531472

View attachment 531473

View attachment 531475

View attachment 531476

View attachment 531477

Addiction? What addiction?

Mark
I see atleast one saw in all those pics worth collecting...... in all seriousness, I dream about living long enough and well enough that someday I can retire to my workshop (hopefully it will look similar to yours at that point) and just play with my saws..... your collection is second to none.
ADLM

In chronological order;
The first saw I remember working on was an old blue Homelite XL. Big, heavy, manual oiler. I was probably 15. The service manager (head mechanic), told me to go through and give it a 2 cycle tune up. It didn't rev as high as the other ones, i had to run a different mix in it, i was told to keep it rich. It weighed a ton, made a lot of smoke, had a lot of compression, and i wasn't alowed to cut anything with it. Older fellow owned it as his main saw.

First chainsaw I used in any meaningful amount was a Poulan Pro 38cc or 42cc with antivibe. Don't remember if it had a chain brake, but i remember the antivibe being great while cutting up a windfall that landed in a horse pasture compared with some craftsman saws that lacked the antivibe.
My service manager always thought Poulan Pro was the best cheap saw. I later realized it was because they were made by Husqvarna.

First saw I bought was a Husqvarna 450 I flipped for extra money. Did the same with a 455 Rancher shortly thereafter. Decided I didn't really like an outboard clutch, too.

First saw i bought for personal use was an early Stihl MS170 i got in "untested condition, not running" for just under $80. Turned out to be a like new saw with perfect compression and almost no use that I only had to add gas to get running. Felled my first tree with it, 12" dead from vines. Still have it today.

Too hard to remember 40 years ago or so what was the first saw I used. Probably a Homelite something as that was what everyone around this neck of the woods ran. The saws that got me going or the most to want to really collect them are the bigger early Macs.
For me the old gear drives are tough old saws hard to beat. I love the design of them and tearing them down and making gaskets and getting them back together and breathing fire again. I can't just have a saw sit on a shelf it has to run . I like to use my saws but the rare ones don't see action yet do run. It's a most enjoyable hobby.

2d816c4b452cbb877975202934e9a6b4.jpg

d8b099ad5d4fa4fede0ee32007839457.jpg

5ee3e7cf3e624b154a68ddac8baef0d6.jpg

82ecf348de854f1a6f1fc029a8a5641a.jpg

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Lord threads like this make me feel old. Lol

In 49 my grandfather, who lived with us, on the edge of the Adirondacks told my dad he paid $50 for a new Disston 100.....the 2 man was $1300 at the time.
Seems my grandfather was tired of the Misery Whip to heat a 13 room house......

I remember it in the mid 50s and by the end of the 50s I was on the Helper Handle. ........

Jimmy in NC sent me one to finish restoring.....

The first chainsaw I ever ran was my fathers old skil saw. He replaced it with a homelite super 2 because it needed a carb rebuild and all the shops around said they couldn't get him a kit. I pulled the carb and got a kit for it and got it running. It died, then I used the super 2 before I bought my own saw. My first saw that was mine was my stihl 029 super. Then got the rest of my stuff from there.

The first chainsaw I ever ran was my fathers old skil saw. He replaced it with a homelite super 2 because it needed a carb rebuild and all the shops around said they couldn't get him a kit. I pulled the carb and got a kit for it and got it running. It died, then I used the super 2 before I bought my own saw. My first saw that was mine was my stihl 029 super. Then got the rest of my stuff from there.
I actually just bought a skil saw, it's model 1716 and its 69cc, I think its pretty neat for sure, and it's my first skil saw
ADLM

Back