The first one/ cause of addiction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a couple of those at the house, I've never actually messed with them
ADLM

The one we had was a good running saw. I feel stupid for not keeping it, but that was before I really got into working on things. That was at the beginning of my small engine work and dad just said to get rid of it. He now regrets getting rid of it too. I have been looking to see if I could find another like it, for the memory/nostalgia aspect of things. But can't justify the money right now. My family comes first. I have what I need right now.

No addiction here. I cut wood for a living and own 4 saws. 2 460s, 2 360s. One 460 has no chance of ever running again even.

The one we had was a good running saw. I feel stupid for not keeping it, but that was before I really got into working on things. That was at the beginning of my small engine work and dad just said to get rid of it. He now regrets getting rid of it too. I have been looking to see if I could find another like it, for the memory/nostalgia aspect of things. But can't justify the money right now. My family comes first. I have what I need right now.
I understand about there being more important things in life to worry about, and yes, family absolutely does come first. Why don't you go ahead and PM me your shipping address. Maybe some time in the future when money is more available I'll get you hooked up.
ADLM

For me the first cause of addiction was when a new scrap yard opened up nearby and they let me and my dad buy stuff and I found a pioneer 1074 and a Stihl 026. And then when I found a minty mcculloch pro Mac 10-10s that only needed a flywheel. Hearing that saw run is what started it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first saw was a home center Tanaka (don't remember the model) and the reason for getting hooked on saws was its poor performance. The problem, however, turned out to be my poor filing skills... :cool:

...and where I live saws have a tendency of following me home on their own.

Missed the question back there...I am pretty sure that is the Super 2-10 that Eccentric sent me (next to the KMS4).

Mark
I don't remember if I told you this or not but I ordered my cd from macbob and it came in the mail today, that is a huge amount of information.... it's unreal
ADLM

20160810_175629.jpg

I still have my first saw, the husky 460 in the back, since then I've bought and sold, a brand new husky 455 I got at Lowe's for $100 missing a few parts, and an Echo 400, a nearly new return at home depot $100 off.
My current plan is an echo 490, a return to home depot, $120 off, and an Echo 590, new in the box for $299 when a local home depot decided to stop selling the 590.
the 460 is for sale, and I don't need anymore saws for my 6 cord/year habit.
Well except for the husky 455 I got cheap after a tree crushed it, and another 460 i got cheap with a new carb and good cylinder but no compression I plan to meld and sell

A little Poulan 2300 back in the mid 1980's. Ran the snot out of that little guy, took down some good sized trees and lots of clean up work. Had just given it a fuel line/carb kit, chain & bar last year. Set it down near the street to go in the house for 10 minutes, junkman must have grabbed it (day before trash pickup).

Got a new Stihl MS-170, plenty big enough for the small stuff I do. But nostalgia got the better of me. Found a Poulan 2000 rough looking but runs perfectly. In the process of restoring that one (Jeep Gecko Green is very close to the original paint), then a 2300 just like the old one, then a small Homelite Super EZ automatic. All from Craigslist locally. The downward spiral has begun!

My first saw was my father's old top handle Poulan 1800. I put a new bar and chain on it, replaced the fuel line (that was a trick I'll tell ya, that fuel line thru the handle trick, gesh!) and cleaned the carb up. It's a good running saw, it is loud as heck, the muffler is about gone. I used it for a while then I gave it to my brother when I bought my first new Stihl.

My first saw was a home center Tanaka (don't remember the model) and the reason for getting hooked on saws was its poor performance. The problem, however, turned out to be my poor filing skills... :cool:

...and where I live saws have a tendency of following me home on their own.
So what all brands of saws are common where you live? And are imported saws as expensive as they are in Australia? Just curious
ADLM

They have pretty much all of the good ones, but unfortunately new saws are A LOT more expensive here than in the States, just like in Australia. Especially Japanese brands are quite expensive for some reason.

Used foreign saws are (or at least were) very cheap, though. Especially if they don't run...;)

My first saw was a hand me down Partner R19 from my Dad , still got it . My first own saw was a Husky 61 , man that saw made me a lot of money and kept us warm for years . Wish I had kept it !!

Too hard to remember 40 years ago or so what was the first saw I used. Probably a Homelite something as that was what everyone around this neck of the woods ran. The saws that got me going or the most to want to really collect them are the bigger early Macs.
For me the old gear drives are tough old saws hard to beat. I love the design of them and tearing them down and making gaskets and getting them back together and breathing fire again. I can't just have a saw sit on a shelf it has to run . I like to use my saws but the rare ones don't see action yet do run. It's a most enjoyable hobby.

2d816c4b452cbb877975202934e9a6b4.jpg

d8b099ad5d4fa4fede0ee32007839457.jpg

5ee3e7cf3e624b154a68ddac8baef0d6.jpg

82ecf348de854f1a6f1fc029a8a5641a.jpg

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

HOLY COW! you have a 49! That's a really rare saw.

I found this board and had two saws and didn't know why I would ever need another. Today I don't know how many I have and I'm not sure I want to know. I suffer from CAD but I can quit anytime.

The saw that got me started was a Husqvarna 266SE that I bought with a leaking seal and scored piston. It was the first one I rebuilt and I was hooked.

HOLY COW! you have a 49! That's a really rare saw.

I found this board and had two saws and didn't know why I would ever need another. Today I don't know how many I have and I'm not sure I want to know. I suffer from CAD but I can quit anytime.

The saw that got me started was a Husqvarna 266SE that I bought with a leaking seal and scored piston. It was the first one I rebuilt and I was hooked.
Lol... Yes indeed I have a nice running 49. Apparently out of the handful known only two run. I didn't have to do much to it after I got it it pretty much fired right up. This is number 234 out of we know up to 1500 give or take for known serial numbers. I only collect McCulloch saws and am saw specific in my collecting. I only buy certain models or buy nothing . This way I keep it under control and am not tripping over saws. I decided early on only to look for uncommon to rare models but in the beginning I did buy a few to get started.

I was fascinated by the history of McCulloch motors and also have a vast library of information. I like the history of the company as much as collecting the saws. I also tear down every saw I get and make my own gaskets , replace seals and at least get them running. I been a mechanic all my life and enjoy bringing things back to life. These old saws are so easy to work on it just comes natural. Now this was a saw i wanted real bad. Never thought I would own one much less see any but I just got lucky on this one.

It belonged to an old timer out in either California or Oregon I don't remember and he was using it to cut firewood believe it or not. Well it got too heavy for him to use and he sold it to the guy I got it from. He didn't want to sell it at first but I made him an offer he couldn't refuse as they say. I'm very happy with it the condition is very nice. It also has a dual sprocket gear on it for running a winch which is the only one I've seen so far. It runs great . Usually starts on a few pulls . I rebuilt the oiler and primer along with replacing the right side cover gasket, starter, carb, fuel pump , and fuel tank gaskets. Made them all from scratch and seed her up real good.

I don't run it much for condition and rarity but I do start it every now and then. I really like running these old saws a lot. I got a 4-30A awhile back the cleaned up nice and runs like it was just made. Fairly low hour saw. I use it frequently as I don't find them awkward or too heavy like a lot of guys say. I think they feel real good in my hands and are a great saw at 87cc plus being a gear drive it won't let you down. It keeps eating wood unlike a direct drive and doesn't bog down or stop in the cut.

I got a roll of old McCulloch. 500 SL chain and made up a loop for the 4-30A and she cuts good. Got it dialed in with the high side lever and she will four cycle and smooth out in the cut. One of my best running saws actually it impresses me for 1953 or so and the old technology. I like the rotary valve saws they are pretty cool. I like anything old though but running these I get a lot of enjoyment out of. Just cut up some more dead ash from the EAB in my area. Killed all of my ash trees so I've got a ton of firewood to cut. Anyway the 49 is a special saw in my collection. I've been lucky on a few others too. I'm always looking for these big old saws or NOS parts and pieces . Definitely a fun enjoyable hobby.

Nick

A few more of the 49

f07b23bfab63bef7b6f9b6d061a60ea0.jpg

432706981c3b84ee4a6e293287e8b317.jpg

64e9511d9715bdd61a60517384bbf7af.jpg

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Back