the FNG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaroldHazel

Reaction score
i have been in the military for 8 years and i am getting out soon,arborist/tree climber is the profession i have chosen,is there any special equipment i should get before my first day and where should i get it from??

HH, From one AS newbie to another, Welcome.

I think using the search function will uncover more info then you can process regarding gear.

Specifically, what type of work do you want to do?

Additionally, I wouldn't worry too much about showing up on a monday morning with a full kit. If you show with a strong work ethic / earnest desire to learn, that should adequately demonstrate your devotion to the trade.

Additionally, showing up with a bunch of shiny new gear that you may or may not know how to use is sometimes not the best row to hoe.

If you have unlimited funds, it is hard to go wrong with a Fanno, O20 (ms 200), a decent saddle, and a good helmet. In helmets I would suggest one with flexible plastic.... petzl or ??? They don't seem to crack as readily as my others.

good luck

Do you know who you are going to work for? Have you ever done tree work before? If you want to get into the tree biz, find a good company, and tell them up front you have zero experience. Don't buy anything until later. You wouldn't want to spend money on something only to realize a few months later that you could have bought something much more suited to your needs for cheaper elsewhere.

HaroldHazel said:
i have been in the military for 8 years and i am getting out soon,arborist/tree climber is the profession i have chosen,is there any special equipment i should get before my first day and where should i get it from??
water jug and ppe not provided...

depending on who you work for ppe will be provided, in fact it may be required that you only use the ppe the employer provide for liability factors. It is an ansi and osha requirement that employers provide all necessary ppe.

HaroldHazel said:

Harold, welcome to the site. I agree with advice already given - land a position as a newbie with an established outfit, and learn the ropes (no pun intended...)

Do you live in Bend? I travle there frequently...Bend rocks! :rock:

Back