The Great Chain Race

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdhotsaw

Yoda
Reaction score
The great chain race

Allright all you racing chain guys,
Finally recieved the video of walts racing chain. John had sent me 5800 KB of video's and walts video went over my storage capacity. anyway here are the results. I timed each cut 8 times and averaged the results,
walt galer's chain 1.74-1.76 seconds in 8 by 8 inch cant

art martin' chain 1.16-1.18 seconds in 8 by 8 inch cant

dennis greffard's 2171 1.34 seconds, 8by 8 cant with art martin's chain

John used his 385wxp to make the cuts he is very consistent cutting

I can't put the videos on arboristsite but if you send me your e-mail site and if you have 1900 kb storage available i'll send them for you to look at or time if you want

8 inch cant

hello doug,
what a life, flying to japan on the big bird and still have to check in on arboristsite! bet they are making you wear a suit also. Ha.Ha.
a cant is a piece of. lumber they have cut square out of a round log . demensionally it is exactly 8 by 8 inches square for its full length. in the east this is what they usually cut at thier contests they also use 10 by 10's and 12 by 12 inch cants. have a nice trip.
ken

Just for reference sake, has anyone timed brand new
stock Carlton full chisel's time? No modifications.
I would like to know just for giggles.
Fish

I just suggested Carlton since it seemed to be the chain
of choice for the chain racers. If we introduced other
makes of chain, it would just cloud the original intent
of my question. It is however a good question in its
own right. A standoff between Stihl, Oregon, Carlton,
etc..

hello harley and huskyman,
in the 10-12 video,s gypo john sent are two video,s he sent with him cutting with his stock chisel chain on his 385w and his 088w. john files his round filed chisel chain pretty well, the times are as follows
385w 1.9 seconds 8 inch cant stock chain
o88w 1.7 seconds stock chain
o44 stihl/stock art martin chain 1.97 second
jonathan hobbs super easy a.m. chain a.m. chain 3.30
ken

Walt Galer..
About a month ago you told John Lambert, when he was so proud of his new Art Martin chain, that there was no such thing as a chain that could not be beat. You went into a dissertation on how you would build a chain in a hour or less that would do it. I called you on it and you said sorry but I was wrong. Others on this forum jumped in to keep things going and the result was that John tried both chains. Walt your chain lost! It took your chain about 50% longer to make the same cut as Arts. That's not getting beat, that's getting stomped! Maybe you should take another hour and try again. Better yet why don't you apoligize to my friend Art Martin and show how gracious you are. You profess knowledge on almost every subject that is brought up on this forum (and others too). On this race chain stuff you are the one that is wrong. This is one time I feel vindicated because you would not back down. If any of you forum members feel like defending Walt and chastizing me go ahead (i can stand up for myself), but don't demean a kind man like Art. Mike

Hi Mike, John the chainsaw meadiator here, I need to come to Walts assitance here again.
I for one was taken aback at Walts reply to Uncle Art's chain, however, when I finally recovered, I read it several times over. Then I came to the conclusion that Walt wasnt dicing Art's chain, he was merely saying what he would do.
If Walt wasnt repected as he is, no one would have taken exception to his real or imagined claims. Conversely, if Art wasn't the professional that he is, he may have taken exception to Walt's so called implications.
Walt is a first class Sh#T disturber, so we may just as well sit back and enjoy it while he continues to entertain us all. It may sound like I am trying to still the waters, but I love a good fight as well so we can all become good friends again. Talk about Cabin Fever!
Anyway, a few fractions of a second doesnt mean much to most of us, but just wait till you get a racing chain in your hands, you will have justified every reason possible to own "just one more saw".
John, The Chainsaw Psycotherapist.

" a fraction of a second doesn't mean much". in all the stock saw compitetions i attend, the saws make multiple cuts. a fraction of a second adds up quick be it three cuts or running for 30 or 60 seconds. i give walt credit for one thing, his chain cut ok for only spending an hour on it. say a little better than stock chain. it takes me about 6 hours per chain. protect yourselves; marty

" a fraction of a second..." What John was meaning..is the average firewood cutter doesnt know or care about a fraction of a second, and that means alot of us on the forum...I get to go cut firewood today:D To the racers, you are right...a fraction of a second means everything...

got the videos ken - thanks.

arts chain is incredibly fast - walts too, but not at that level obviously. where is walt??? what does he think???

my complements to the chain filing master art martin on his displayed victory and to the obviously very fine technique of the sawyer the crazed canuck - john lambert.:D

race chain

hello tundraotto,
yes, john lambert is a crazy cunuck. who else would get these 8 by 8's milled and then go out at dark and time all these chain/chainsaw combinations. pretty darn good with his various camera's also. he has the chain/ chainsaw fever pretty bad. he called me yesterday and is going to make some racing chain of his own . knowing john it will be pretty fast
ken

hotsaw gal

If john marries again she's going to have to be able repair saws, square file chain and be able to run a hot saw plus be able to make 8 by 8 cants out of a round log.
ken

Hi Ken, I got good news! I modified my first chain last night and used it in the bush for limbing and felling dead snags and live leaners. It cut alot faster than my stock chain. It took me about 1 hr. to do it with a 7/32" file. My first thought was that I had ruined the efficiency of the sideplate, but it cuts better with each filing and self feeds as though it has a mind of its own. I just followed the saw around in the woods. I should have taken a brush to the cutters before I took the pictures, as every speck of oily sawdust makes the cutter look blunt. With Art's and Walts examples and me pumping you for info at 40$/hr., I should have it in no time.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back